THE UA STRATEGIC PLAN: Advancing the Flagship: The Next Phase
In September 2021, President Stuart R. Bell announced the convening of the Strategic Plan Review Committee. Charged with reviewing UA’s strategic plan, Advancing the Flagship, the committee began meeting to assess the current plan along with the University’s current needs. A committee of faculty, staff, and students was established to execute the review, each of whom has wide-ranging authority and the ability to engage in outreach and representation of the entire University community.
Meetings were held throughout the 2021-2022 academic year. Committee members discussed accomplishments of the original plan, reviewed data and heard from experts, researched areas for continued improvement, and identified new areas for growth.
- Joy Burnham, faculty appointee; and professor, counselor education
- Susan Carvalho, dean, Graduate School
- Jillian Fields, president, Student Government Association
- Chapman Greer, president, Faculty Senate; and clinical instructor of management, Culverhouse College of Business
- Jonathon Halbesleben, dean, College of Continuing Studies
- Delphine Harris, president, Professional Staff Assembly; and executive director, Business Process Innovation
- Adam Hauser, faculty appointee; associate professor and vice chair for undergraduate studies, department of physics and astronomy; and A&S Leadership Board Faculty Fellow
- Steven Hood, interim vice president, Student Life
- Quin Kelly, president, Graduate Student Association
- LeNá Powe McDonald, director of internal affairs in the Office of the President; and committee co-chair and staff
- Russell Mumper, vice president, Research and Economic Development
- Angel Narvaez-Lugo, president, Office, Clerical, & Technical Staff Assembly; and interim adviser to the Student Government Association
- Christine Taylor, vice president and associate provost, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Chad Tindol, chief administrative officer and chair
In light of the successes associated with the original plan, Provost Jim Dalton charged the group to update the plan based on UA’s 2016-2022 accomplishments, as well as its aspirations for the 2022-2027 time frame. The committee has taken that charge seriously and reported back its recommendations for refreshed goals and objectives.