When facing adversity, the Crimson Tide shows strength and determination.
This Monday, April 27, marks nine years since the 2011 tornadoes that struck Tuscaloosa and the region. University of Alabama faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends banded together to assist in the recovery efforts.
Today, UA is asking others to once again spread the Crimson spirit. Share how you are making a difference on social media using #StillTideTogether to potentially be featured on UA’s social media accounts.
Nine ideas on what you can do to show we’re #StillTideTogether:
- Thank first responders, medical professionals and front-line workers or make a sign to hang in your window! Some organizations like the DCH Foundation have programs for feeding front-line workers.
- Check in by phone with an older member of your family or neighborhood and offer them assistance during this time. Some areas may even have the Leave it to Us free shopping service, started by a UA student.
- If you need to go out in public, help slow the spread of coronavirus by keeping at least six feet away from others and properly wearing masks and gloves.
- Shop and eat local take-out and curbside to help your local economy.
- If you’re healthy and feeling well, make an appointment to donate blood.
- Review your weather safety plan and discuss it with a close friend or family member, and encourage them to do the same.
- Donate to one of UA’s assistance funds or help UA manufacture PPE for those on the front line.
- Catch up with friends and family on Zoom and use your UA-themed backgrounds.
- Put an elephant in your front window so children can spot it on a walking neighborhood safari.
Denny Chimes will ring in remembrance at 5:13 p.m. April 27. The chimes will sound 53 times in honor of those who died in Tuscaloosa County, including six UA students and one UA employee who had taken shelter off campus.
The University of Alabama, the state’s oldest and largest public institution of higher education, is a student-centered research university that draws the best and brightest to an academic community committed to providing a premier undergraduate and graduate education. UA is dedicated to achieving excellence in scholarship, collaboration and intellectual engagement; providing public outreach and service to the state of Alabama and the nation; and nurturing a campus environment that fosters collegiality, respect and inclusivity.