On the first Wednesday of each month (unless inclement weather is expected), the University tests its emergency notification systems, including UA Alerts, the public address system and digital signage. In addition to notification tests, the University provides monthly safety tips and information to help the UA community be prepared in different types of emergency situations. This month’s topic is what to do in case of a medical emergency.
If someone on campus needs emergency medical care, call UAPD at 205-348-5454.
When you call for help, remember the following:
- Do not move the victim, except away from life-threatening conditions.
- Stay with the victim until help arrives.
- Give the dispatcher complete directions to the victim’s location.
- Describe what happened.
- Stay on the line until dispatch tells you to hang up.
- Guide emergency officials to the victim.
- Stay back and keep others out of the way of emergency officials. Before you leave the scene, check with a police officer to see if further information is needed.
The University of Alabama, the state’s oldest and largest public institution of higher education, is a student-centered research university that draws the best and brightest to an academic community committed to providing a premier undergraduate and graduate education. UA is dedicated to achieving excellence in scholarship, collaboration and intellectual engagement; providing public outreach and service to the state of Alabama and the nation; and nurturing a campus environment that fosters collegiality, respect and inclusivity.