UA’s Office of Information Technology completed several projects in 2018. Some are easily recognized, while others occurred behind the scenes to advance UA in the areas of research, connectivity and security.
For example, OIT implemented a new guest wireless network where campus visitors can self-register and activate a wireless network connection while on campus. In addition, the Faculty Resource Center offered 143 workshops in 2018, including a new popular workshop on podcasting. The center also completed more than 4,800 service tickets.
And, the accessibility unit provided the Texthelp suite of literacy support tools. Unit members captioned or transcribed more than 4,000 minutes of media through UA captioning grants. They also ran more than 3,246 Accessibility Management Platform reports to help website administrators across campus make content accessible for all users.
Other highlights include:
- More than 1,000 wireless access points were added across campus.
- OIT redesigned and implemented new wireless network designs in more than 20 buildings.
- Staff members upgraded the core network from 10 Gbps to 40 Gbps.
- The IT Service Desk processed more than 10,000 service desk tickets.
- Desktop support replaced more than 400 machines for the College of Arts and Sciences alone.
- With a focus on research, OIT expanded the capacity of UA’s high-performance computing platform.
- OIT expanded virtual server and storage in the campus data center and continuity of operations center in Atlanta.
- OIT also signed contracts to provide MATLAB software and LastPass for free to all students, faculty and staff.
- Staff members implemented a new PSK device management system in which users can self-register media devices to connect to the PSK network, allowing for a smoother move-in process for residents on campus.
- The telecommunications team implemented Voice over Internet Protocol across campus. VoIP is a way of transmitting sound as data over the internet, making phone service more affordable. More than 80 percent of campus now uses VoIP service.
- OIT served in a key role in implementing Action Card’s Apple Wallet project.
- OIT’s Enterprise Development and Application Support team completed more than 150 projects, including migrating Banner 8 INB forms to Banner 9 Admin forms as well as upgrading the central authentication service login page with a new design and DUO two-factor authentication.
The University of Alabama, the state’s oldest and largest public institution of higher education, is a student-centered research university that draws the best and brightest to an academic community committed to providing a premier undergraduate and graduate education. UA is dedicated to achieving excellence in scholarship, collaboration and intellectual engagement; providing public outreach and service to the state of Alabama and the nation; and nurturing a campus environment that fosters collegiality, respect and inclusivity.