The Service and Leadership Awards were given recently to honor the contributions of campus organizations, as well as individuals to service and leadership within and outside of The University of Alabama community.
Below is a list of the recipients for 2018 and their awards.
Center for Service and Leadership Awards
- Star Bloom Volunteer of the Year Award: Andrea Hayes.
- Henry M. Lipsey Heart of Service Award: Allen Engle, Taylor Ragan, Ian Kotz and Erin McKee.
- Community Partner of the Year Award: Lake Lurleen State Park.
- Outstanding Advocacy organization: Alabama International Relations Club.
- Outstanding Cultural/Intercultural/Identity Based award: South Asian Society.
- Outstanding Graduate Organization: National Black MBA Association.
- Outstanding Professional Organization: Forza Financial.
- Outstanding Recreational/Athletic Organization: Alabama Crew Club.
- Outstanding Social/Fraternal Organization: UA Greek Ambassadors.
- Outstanding Service Organization: Al’s Pals.
- Capstone Innovation Award: Design for America – Gardens Project.
- Organization Event of the Year: “The Blackout” – Alabama Student Association for Poetry; Alabama Forensic Council, Capstone Association of Black Journalists, Capstone Minority Information Systems Society, Black Faculty and Staff Association Ambassadors, Graduate Student Association, and Dynamically Reversing Everything Around Me.
- Will Byington Award Student Officer of the Year: Jayla Blanke of Alabama Triathletes and Sakina Dhondia of the International Students Association
- John L. Blackburn Advisor of the Year Award: Lynette Campos, Al’s Pals.
- David L. Phelps Organization of the Year: Society of Women Engineers.
The awards are hosted by Student Involvement, The SOURCE, the Center for Service and Leadership, Safe Zone, the Capstone Heroes Committee, and the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life.
The University of Alabama, the state’s oldest and largest public institution of higher education, is a student-centered research university that draws the best and brightest to an academic community committed to providing a premier undergraduate and graduate education. UA is dedicated to achieving excellence in scholarship, collaboration and intellectual engagement; providing public outreach and service to the state of Alabama and the nation; and nurturing a campus environment that fosters collegiality, respect and inclusivity.