You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2010-2012 Undergraduate Catalog
College of Education Next      Previous      Contents      Search      UA


The College of Education offers undergraduate programs leading to the bachelor of science in education or the bachelor of science degree. These programs require the completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours in prescribed and elective courses, as set forth in this catalog (most programs require the completion of more than 120 hours). Graduates will also have met the prescribed minimum standards of scholarship.

A minimum of 32 semester hours, including 9 of the last 18 hours required for a degree, must be earned in residence at The University of Alabama as an enrolled student in the College of Education.

If a student does not complete requirements for the undergraduate degree within a period of seven years from the date of admission, the College of Education will modify the student’s program to bring it into compliance with current degree and certification requirements. In addition, a student in a teacher education program must complete that program’s requirements within four years from the date of formal admission to the program, or he or she must reapply for admission.

Upon re-entering, any student with a break in his or her enrollment at The University of Alabama (fall or spring semesters) will be placed in the program required of newly admitted students. Exceptions may be made by personnel in the Office of Student Services and Certification.

Because of the number of educational options available to students in the College, sample programs of study for the various education majors cannot be provided here. Instead, detailed program outlines are available from academic advisors in the various program offices. In general, students take 100-level courses during the first year of college, 200-level courses during the second year, and 300- and 400-level courses during the third and fourth years.

Each undergraduate program contains a group of courses classified as general studies. These courses must be taken in the proper prescribed sequence during the freshman and sophomore years, until they are completed. Required studies in English are part of the general studies requirement; a student must enroll each semester in the prescribed composition and literature courses, until the English requirement is completed.

Upper and Lower Divisions

Students enrolling in a teacher education program (a program leading to Alabama Class B certification) enter the upper division of the College of Education at the time of their admission to a Teacher Education Program (TEP).

Admission to a Teacher Education Program (TEP)

Students must be formally admitted to a TEP. Applications are available through the Office of Student Services located at 104 Carmichael Hall. Students who meet the following criteria may apply for admission to the teacher certification program in their area of study. However, meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee admission to TEP.

  1. Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program (APTTP). The basic skills portion of the APTTP must be taken prior to TEP. Students must have a passing score for all three sections of the test (reading, writing, and mathematics). Students should check with personnel in 104 Carmichael Hall to obtain the latest information, including test dates and registration Web site.
  2. GPA requirements. A grade point average of 2.75 must be met and maintained for admission. Transfer students must have the required GPA on all coursework taken at this institution as well as overall coursework (UA and transfer work). Exception: physical education with a 2.5 GPA.
  3. EN 101 and EN 102 or EN 103 with credit for EN 101. Students must have a grade of a “C” or higher in the coursework.
  4. BEP 305 Educational Psychology or BEF 360 or BEP 360. Students must have a grade of a “C” or higher in the coursework.
  5. Speech requirement. Students must have a grade of a “C” or higher in an approved public-speaking course.
  6. Hour requirements. Students must successfully complete at least 60 semester hours, including at least 41 hours of general studies. Students must not have exceeded 120 semester hours.
  7. Pre-professional courses. Students must successfully complete the pre-professional lab experience in their field of study with a grade of at least a “C”. Students should check with an academic advisor for the specific departmental course with the lab experience.
  8. Fingerprinting. The Alabama State Department of Education and the College of Education require all students to be fingerprinted prior to admission to TEP. Fingerprinting will be required during the semester of the pre-professional course, and background clearance must be obtained prior to clinical placements in the schools.
  9. Writing requirements. Students should check with program advisors and/or personnel in the Office of Student Services and Certification. Students seeking admission to a TEP in elementary education will be assessed a fee for taking a required writing assessment.
  10. Interview. Each candidate for admission must successfully complete an interview with at least two faculty members. Speaking skills and knowledge and abilities based on previous coursework will be among the attributes assessed in the interview. The interview evaluation will become part of the application to a TEP.
  11. Signatures. Appropriate faculty and administrative signatures are required once all criteria have been met.

Admission to a TEP is competitive and meeting standard criteria does not guarantee admission. Those who meet standard criteria are guaranteed consideration for admission to a teacher preparation program. Admission will be based on evaluations of the applications to identify those applicants who are best qualified and who show strong likelihood of success in their chosen areas. The evaluations will reveal the relative strengths and weaknesses in each applicant’s credentials in light of the areas in which the applicant wishes to teach and the applicant’s understanding of, and commitment to, teaching as a profession, as well as oral skills, mature judgment, and the demeanor necessary to become successful as a teacher. Any applicable test score, or subscore, and grades in previous courses should reflect a strong record in the major area of study. A student’s entire application will be evaluated by appropriate members of the faculty who will make a recommendation to the dean. The dean will make the final decision.

Individuals who hold college degrees and wish to complete certification programs to teach in the public schools or to complete a TEP in order to qualify for certain graduate programs must meet the admission criteria and must follow all application procedures. Students should check with academic advisors in the office of Student Services for specific departmental TEP admissions requirements.

Retention in the College of Education (Certification Programs)

To continue to be eligible for enrollment in the upper division of the College of Education, a student must successfully complete any remaining courses in the teaching field(s) or major, and, for certification programs, the professional education courses, including successful clinical placements. Unless otherwise indicated for a specific program, the GPA in the teaching field—and, if transfer work, the overall GPA—must remain at least 2.75. In professional education courses, the GPA must be at least 2.75, with no grade less than “C.” For students in non-certification programs, required minimum GPAs vary from program to program. All students should be aware of and monitor their GPAs and should project when they will be able to enroll in required courses. All students are expected to become familiar with the regulations discussed in “Student Records and General Academic Policies.”


Individuals who apply to the Alabama Department of Education for initial Alabama professional educator certificates or alternative certificates must meet the requirements of the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program (APTTP) as a precondition for certification. The APTTP consists of basic skills assessments and subject assessments. The basic skills assessments of the APTTP consist of the applied mathematics, reading for information, and writing assessments. Passing scores in all three areas are required of candidates prior to admission to a teacher education program.

The subject assessments required in the APTTP consist of selected tests from the Praxis II. Each candidate must obtain a passing score in the appropriate content field on the Praxis II prior to internship. Candidates should see their advisors for the appropriate test code prior to registering for Praxis II. Information regarding test dates, test codes, and testing sites may be obtained from the Office of Student Services, 104 Carmichael Hall.

Each student in a certification program must also show proof of mastery of all Quality Teaching Standards (QTS), Professional Standards, and Content Standards prior to program completion. An Individualized Standards Assessment Report (ISAR) for each student will be reviewed and evaluated at various checkpoints to ensure mastery of standards. Upon program completion, the final ISAR will be evaluated prior to graduation and recommendation for certification.

Clinical Placements

The majority of upper-division education courses require clinical placements in the schools. At a minimum, each student shall have participated in 150 clock hours prior to the internship. Ninety of these 150 hours shall be in increments of at least three hours each. The majority of field experiences must occur in P-12 schools.

All clinical placements in the College of Education are coordinated through the Office of Clinical Experiences. These placements are in the greater Tuscaloosa area in order to facilitate supervision of students. If an appropriate placement cannot be secured in the Tuscaloosa area, recommendations will be made for an alternate placement by the department head.

Professional Liability

Students enrolled in College of Education courses that require a clinical placement are required to provide proof of professional liability insurance before being allowed to participate in a clinical placement. Professional liability insurance may be purchased through an independent insurer or is available to students who are members of the Student Alabama Education Association (SAEA), the Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC), or Collegiate Music Educators National Conference (CMENC). Further information and membership applications may be obtained from the Office of Clinical Experiences.

Internship Requirements

After successfully completing all required coursework, each student is screened for placement in an internship. The teaching internship (formerly called student teaching) is one of the most important experiences a College of Education student has. It is generally regarded as the culminating activity of one’s preparation to become a teacher. At The University of Alabama, the internship is a full-semester, full-time assignment and must be taken in residence.

Both undergraduate and alternative (nontraditional, fifth-year) students must file internship applications with the Office of Clinical Experiences in 101 Graves Hall during the semester preceding the semester of the planned internships. The application process begins by attending a mandatory application session, which is held at 4:00 p.m. in 118 Graves Hall on the first Wednesday in October for spring-semester interns and the first Wednesday in March for fall-semester interns.

A student may apply to enroll for an internship if the following criteria have been met:

  1. The student must have been admitted to the teacher education program or an alternative (nontraditional, fifth-year) program. Internship applications will not be processed until admission is verified.
  2. The student must have completed all courses in the major or majors prior to the internship unless otherwise indicated by the education department.
  3. Unless otherwise indicated, the student must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.75, both for all University of Alabama courses attempted and for all University of Alabama courses and transfer courses combined.
  4. Unless otherwise indicated, the student must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.75 in each major, both for University of Alabama courses in each major and for combined University of Alabama courses and transfer courses in each major.
  5. The student must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.75 for professional education coursework, with no grade below a “C” in any professional education coursework.
  6. The student must have completed all methods courses and appropriate professional coursework with grades of “C” or higher.
  7. The student must have removed from the transcript any grade of incomplete (“I”) recorded in required courses; grades of incomplete are treated as grades of “F.”
  8. The student must have obtained a passing score on the Praxis II Subject Assessment test in the appropriate content field.
  9. The student must show mastery of required standards in all courses completed prior to internship, as indicated on the Individualized Standards Assessment Report.

Registration for internship credit hours. Undergraduate students are required to register for the number of internship credit hours specified by their programs. In some programs, an undergraduate student may be allowed to choose a 9-hour registration or a 12-hour registration; course requirements are the same whether 9 hours or 12 hours are taken. Students in programs requiring two different internship placements are required to register for two different sections of internship. A student enrolled for an internship must not expect to be enrolled in other courses while interning unless otherwise indicated by the department.

Policy on Internship Placements

All internship placements are coordinated by the College of Education Office of Clinical Experiences. A placement site will be selected in a manner to ensure the quality of the internship experience and of the supervision provided by the cooperating teacher. All internship placements (except for music education) are in the greater Tuscaloosa area in order to facilitate supervision of students by University of Alabama faculty or other designees of the department heads. Placement outside the greater Tuscaloosa area is made only if the Office of Clinical Experiences and/or a department head determine(s) that appropriate local placement is unavailable.

A student may apply for an overseas internship if he or she meets certain criteria and if appropriate placement can be coordinated by the Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching (COST) and/or The University of Alabama. Applications for overseas internships are taken during January for placements for the next fall semester and in June for placements the succeeding spring semester. Contact the Office of Clinical Experiences in 101 Graves Hall for additional information.

Internship Assignments

Majors who enroll for internships in collaborative teacher education, early childhood special education, elementary education, physical education, English as a second language, foreign language education (P–12), and music education should expect split assignments. Secondary education students who have comprehensive majors may receive a single internship assignment or a split assignment. A secondary education student who has two secondary education majors receives a split assignment, one-half in each of the two majors. The internship for the multiple abilities program (MAP) requires the student to complete an elementary education placement and a special education placement during two different semesters.

Application for Certification

Any University student who plans to teach in Alabama after graduation must file the proper application form for a certificate. Forms are available and are filed in the Office of Student Services and Certification in 104 Carmichael Hall. Applications should be filed at least one semester in advance of graduation. A student who does not apply for professional licensure within 60 months after completing the state-approved program will be required to meet the current program. Students who plan to teach in other states must secure the proper professional licensure application forms from those states’ departments of education. The associate dean for student services in the College of Education has been designated the teacher certification officer for the University. Students who need information about or assistance with certification should consult the associate dean for student services.

Teacher warranty. According to regulations mandated by the Alabama State Board of Education, the College of Education ensures that “a candidate’s competency to begin his or her professional role in schools is assessed prior to completion of the program and/or recommendation for certification” and establishes, publishes, and implements “policies to guarantee the success of individuals who complete its approved programs and are employed in their area(s) of specialization.” The College of Education provides “remediation at no cost to such individuals who are recommended . . . and are deemed to be unsatisfactory based on performance evaluations established by the State Board of Education and within two years after program completion.”

Required General Studies Courses

These general studies courses include most University of Alabama Core Curriculum requirements; however, the core curriculum writing requirement (the W courses) is not satisfied by these hours of general studies courses.

NOTE: Courses listed below reflect general options, but not all teaching fields are enhanced by every option, and some require additional coursework. Additional courses approved by the state of Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee could be appropriate under the terms of the Statewide Articulation Reporting System (STARS). To avoid taking extra courses, each student should select, whenever possible, general studies courses that may be utilized in his or her teaching field or major. Please refer to notes below and to the specific teaching field(s) for more precise requirements.

EN 101 and EN 102 (FC) 6 hours
or EN 103 English Composition (FC) 3 hours
Total hours 12 hours
Complete at least one course from the following:  
  • EN/WL 207 World Literature (L)
  • EN/WL 208 World Literature (L)
  • EN 205 English Literature I (L)
  • EN 206 English Literature II (L)
  • EN 209 American Literature I (L)
  • EN 210 American Literature II (L)
  • EN 215 Honors English Literature I (L)
  • EN 216 Honors English Literature II (L)
  • EN 219 Honors American Literature I (L)
  • EN 220 Honors American Literature II (L)
3–6 hours
NOTE: Students should select courses from areas II and IV so that at least one 6-semester-hour sequence of either literature (e.g., English, American, or world) or history is presented.
Public Speaking*  
COM 123 Public Speaking (HU)
COM 210 Oral Interpretation (HU)
3 hours
Fine Arts 3 hours
  • ARH 151 Introduction to the Visual Arts (FA)
  • ARH 252 Survey of Art I (FA)
  • ARH 253 Survey of Art II (FA)
  • ARH 254 Survey of Art III (FA)
  • MUS 121 Introduction to Listening (FA)
  • MUS 250 Music in World Cultures (FA)
  • TCF 112 Motion Picture History and Criticism (FA)
  • TH 114 Introduction to Theatre (FA)
Additional course from area II 3 hours
*A music education major may satisfy this requirement by earning a passing score on the Speech Proficiency Examination; however, appropriate hours in Area II must be met.
Total hours 8
  • AEM 120 Aerospace Science for Educators (N)
  • AY 101:102 Introduction to Astronomy (N)
  • BSC 108 Introductory Biology for Non-Majors I (N)
  • BSC 109 Introductory Biology for Non-Majors II (N)
  • BSC 114:115 Principles of Biology I (N)
  • BSC 116:117 Principles of Biology II (N)
  • CH 101 General Chemistry I (N)
  • CH 104 Introductory Chemistry (N)
  • CH 107 Introductory Chemistry for Non-Majors I (N)
  • GEO 101 The Dynamic Earth (N)
  • GEO 102 The Earth through Time (N)
  • GY 101 or GY 102 Principles of Physical
  • Geography I or II (N)
  • PH 101 General Physics I (N, MA)
  • PH 115 Descriptive Physics for Non-Science Majors (N)
Students in elementary education, the Multiple Abilities Program, and special education must complete 4 additional semester hours from N courses. It is suggested that students in elementary education choose AEM 120 or another advisor-approved, interdisciplinary science course.
Total hours 3

Any of the following courses:

Students in elementary education (K–6), the Multiple Abilities Program (K–6), and special education are required to complete additional work in mathematics. See notes under these teaching fields. Students preparing to teach general science, biology, chemistry, and physics need to meet specific MATH requirements. See notes under the various teaching fields.
Total hours 12

At least one HY course:

  • HY 101 Western Civilization to 1648 (HI)
  • HY 102 Western Civilization since 1648 (HI)
  • HY 203 American Civilization to 1865 (HI)
  • HY 204 American Civilization since 1865 (HI)

NOTE: Students should select courses from areas II and IV so that at least one 6-semester-hour sequence of either literature or history (e.g., Western, American) is completed.

PY 101 Introduction to Psychology (see area V) (SB)

HD 101 Human Development (see area V) (SB)

ANT 100 Introduction to Anthropology (SB)
ANT 102 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (SB)
ANT 103 Great Discoveries in Archaeology (SB)
EC 110 Principles of Microeconomics (SB)
EC 111 Principles of Macroeconomics (SB)
GY 105 World Regional Geography (SB)
GY 110 Principles of Human Geography (SB)
PSC 101 Introduction to American Politics (SB)
SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology (SB)
SOC 202 Analysis of Social Problems (SB)

(Courses appropriate to the degree requirements and major of the individual student. Secondary and P–12 majors [except special education] should select courses appropriate to their majors. Additional, specific courses may be required for the various majors.) Students should consult an advisor for requirements in a major.
Educational psychology prerequisite requirement  
PY 101 or HD 101 (may be taken as part of area IV requirements)
Foreign language/computer language requirement
(3–8 semester hours)
One of the following:  
Option 1: Satisfy the foreign language core requirement (FL) 3–8
Option 2: Satisfy the computer science core requirement (C) 6
NOTE: Option 2 is not part of area V of the articulation agreement. Students should consult an advisor for requirements in a major.  
EDU 200 Orientation to Teacher Education 1
Required for all students in education seeking teacher certification general studies elective(s)
In some majors, additional courses may need to be taken to complete a total of 120 hours or to fulfill prerequisites for the required courses above.  
variable hours

About the University Next      Previous      Contents      Search      UA