You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2006-2008 Undergraduate Catalog


Through activities, programs, and interactions, the Division of Student Affairs fosters an environment that supports learning, healthy lifestyles, leadership and career development, personal growth, and inclusiveness. In keeping with the University's mission and heritage, the division works to provide students with the experiences and skills that lead to productive and fulfilled lives. To this end, the Division of Student Affairs complements and supplements the academic enterprise, maintaining both a climate on campus and range of programs that enhance student learning and personal growth.

Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students serves to facilitate the lifelong development of students through programs and services that enhance scholarship, citizenship, an inclusive community, and integrity, and that support the mission of The University of Alabama. This objective is accomplished through leadership programs, greek affairs, the on-call dean program, University Programs, cultural enrichment, membership in student organizations, and student self-governance. The office also seeks to serve as a starting point for students and parents who have questions or concerns and for those students seeking to become involved. The dean's staff is trained to facilitate problem solving and referral when needed. The major program components are as follows:

Coordinating Council for Student Organizations (CCSO). CCSO is the student coordinating body that supports nearly 300 registered student organizations. The council encourages student participation through publicity campaigns and provides meeting and fund management training. Get on Board Day is an organizational fair in which students are invited to meet members and learn about the organizations for which they may have interest for membership. (Also see Student Organizations on p. 38.)

Graduate Student Services. Graduate Student Services provides resources, services, and programs aimed at the specific needs of graduate students, including orientation for new graduate students. The office also advises the Graduate Student Association, Alpha Epsilon Lambda, and the Research and Travel Committee. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) is a forum for graduate students to express concerns of the graduate community, to enhance the quality of the graduate educational experience, and to stand as an advocate for change and improvement of services for graduate students. An honor society, Alpha Epsilon Lambda, recognizes academic excellence and leadership of graduate and professional students. The Research and Travel Committee, a part of GSA, distributes funds for undergraduate and graduate students participating in research and/or travel.

Graduate Student Services is located in 231 Ferguson Center, in the Dean of Students Office. The office may be contacted by phone at (205) 348-6796 or fax (205) 348-7610. The GSA is located on the third floor of Ferguson Center and can be reached at (205) 348-8562.

Greek Affairs. The greek affairs area supports and advises the governing bodies of the greek community (Interfraternity Council, Alabama Panhellenic Association, and National Pan-Hellenic Council) and its 50 member organizations. The staff assists with programs such as leadership development, scholarship, and associate member education. The office provides a resource center for chapter officers and advisors and house managers, maintains contact with international office and alumni groups, and administers campus policies pertaining to greek organizations.

On-Call Dean. The on-call dean program is designed to assist students in crisis and to provide a link for parents who may be great distances from the campus. The on-call dean will assist students who have life, health, or family emergencies and other life problems when assistance is needed.

Student Government Association. The Student Government Association (SGA) offers students opportunities for self-governance and leadership development. The SGA consists of three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. Elections are held each spring semester for executive and senate posts. Activities and services of the SGA include homecoming, the Capstone Event, the emergency loan program, the student legal clinic, diversity awareness, and assistance with new-student orientation. The SGA has more than 40 committees that give students hand-on opportunities to improve student life at The University of Alabama

The Student Government Association is located in 356 Ferguson Center. For more information regarding involvement with the SGA or for assistance, visit or call (205) 348-2742.

Student Leadership. Located in the Office of the Dean of Students, this area supports the academic experience by providing programs and opportunities to enhance student leadership development, foster civic responsibility, and promote shared responsibility within a healthy community. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to participate in programs focusing on ethical, purposeful, and inclusive leadership. Additionally, leadership development staff can develop and/or provide leadership workshops for campus groups and organizations.

For more information, please refer to or contact The University of Alabama, Office of the Dean of Students, 231 Ferguson Center, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292; (205) 348-6114.

University Programs (UP). UP provides cultural enrichment for the University and the Tuscaloosa community through its programming divisions and support areas. These areas encompass nationally known speakers, concerts, and fine arts. See for more information.

Career Center

Visiting the Career Center (330 Ferguson Center) introduces students and alumni to a comprehensive range of career development services and employment opportunities. Through the Career Center, students and alumni can

The Career Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. For more information, call (205) 348-5848.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center helps students achieve academic success and personal growth through quality counseling, psychological and consultative services. By providing emotional health care services of a short-term nature, the Counseling Center serves as a screening, intake, and referral resource that assists all students in identifying their needs and locating an appropriate resource if their needs are outside the scope of services offered. Among the services provided are individual, couple, and group counseling and substance abuse counseling, crisis intervention, and medication referral services. For general information and assistance, please call (205) 348-3863.

Ferguson Center

The Ferguson Center Student Union collaboratively serves the educational mission of the University by encouraging, supporting, and celebrating personal development, involvement, citizenship, leadership, and respect for a healthy community.

The Ferguson Center serves as the center of the campus community and is a central place to meet friends, check e-mail or complete assignments in the Computer Lab, have a quick bite to eat, mail a package, or relax in the Game Room. The Ferguson Center is open more than 340 days per year, seven days per week, and at least 15 hours per day to serve the needs of the campus community.

Conference and meeting room reservations for the Ferguson Center, Student Services Center, and Ferguson Plaza are also made through the Ferguson Union Director's Office. For more information and to access the Online Room Reservation Form, please refer to or contact The University of Alabama, Ferguson Center Union Director's Office, 230 Ferguson Center, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292; (205) 348-2827.

Housing and Residential Communities

The residential campus is a vital part of the University. Three kinds of campus housing are available: residence halls, undergraduate campus apartments, and graduate campus apartments.

There are real advantages to living on campus. Campus residents often cite the convenience of campus residence facilities to classrooms, libraries, and student activities; the carefully selected and trained staff; the programs and functions geared to students' academic and social needs; the chance to meet all kinds of students; and ready information about University events. These benefits reflect the University's commitment to maintaining a residential program that helps students develop to their fullest academic and personal potential.

Residence halls. The different campus residence halls can house varied numbers of students, from 100 to 960; about 6,000 students can live in the halls. Amenities in the halls are diverse, ranging from double rooms and suites to singles. The halls are regularly maintained and updated with concern for both their attractiveness and the academic environment they provide. Detailed information about the residence hall environment is sent automatically to students admitted to the University and is also available from The University of Alabama, Housing and Residential Communities, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205) 348-6676; You can also contact Housing and Residential Communities toll-free at 1-888-498-BAMA (2262).

Residence hall applications. Housing and Residential Communities offers an online application, which can be submitted electronically. Students may access the online housing application by visiting the HRC website, Alternatively, students may request a paper application by calling 1-888-498-2262 or e-mailing A $200 deposit ($25 application feel and $175 prepayment) is required at the time of application. Students are advised to apply early for on-campus living. An additional application is required for students applying to live in Living-Learning Communities.

Residence Hall Association. The Residence Hall Association (RHA), an organization composed of representatives from each building's hall government, allows all students the opportunity to become involved in planning activities and programs for the halls through the use of an activity fee. Students interested in participating in hall government and RHA should contact the residence hall staff.

Residential academic programs. The engineering major living option is offered in Bryant Hall and Somerville Hall. The focus on academic needs and programs in this major provides many growth opportunities for our students.

Parker-Adams Hall provides a living option for A&S Mentoring Program participants.

The Blount Undergraduate Initiative provides freshmen in the College of Arts and Sciences a unique living-learning center and increased faculty/student contact.

The business living option in Friedman Hall offers programming and advising focused on the needs of students enrolled in the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration.

The University Honors living option is available in the Riverside Community for students with an ACT score of 27 or higher.

The Mallet Assembly in Byrd Hall provides an excellent opportunity for students to assume leadership and service in a self-governing facility.

The Women's Honors Residential Program living option is located in Small Group Housing.

The Capstone Living-Learning option is housed in Harris Hall and has students from the Capstone College of Nursing, College of Human Environmental Sciences, College of Communication and Information Sciences, and College of Arts and Sciences.

For further information about these programs and others, please contact The University of Alabama, Housing and Residential Communities, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205) 348-6676.

Undergraduate campus apartment/suite-style residence halls. The University has 1350 available spaces especially for our junior and senior students. These residents share two to three bedrooms and a common kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The traditional RA interaction is maintained, but a semi-independent living option is offered. Students can apply for this option on the residence hall application.

Graduate campus apartments. The University maintains more than 200 student apartments geared toward graduate/older students, which offer both the benefits of independent living and the convenience of campus housing. Space in University apartments cannot be guaranteed, so students should apply as early as possible.

Student Affairs Outreach

The Office of Student Affairs Outreach is located in 372 Rose Administration. Outreach is primarily involved with those constituents who are external to the division of Student Affairs. Areas include Parent Programs, Student Media, the Community Service Center and the Blackburn Institute. Contact this office at (205) 348-3277.

Blackburn Institute. In 1995, the division of Student Affairs at The University of Alabama created the Blackburn Institute. The purpose of the Institute is to develop a network of leaders, the Blackburn Fellows, who have a clear understanding of the challenges that face the state of Alabama. The Institute provides its Fellows opportunities to explore issues and identify strategic actions that will improve the quality of life for all Alabama's citizens. As student Fellows travel to rural and urban areas and participate in the legislative process, they become aware of the broad issues involved in civic responsibility. Upon graduation, student Fellows receive the lifetime distinction of being a Blackburn Fellow. To date, the Institute has inducted over 300 Blackburn Fellows and involved advisory board members as well as other leaders with distinctive records of achievement in public life. For more information, visit

Community Service Center. The Community Service Center is the volunteer clearinghouse at The University of Alabama. The center's mission is to promote leadership and encourage volunteer service among UA's students and student organizations. The Community Service Center gives students the opportunity to utilize their talents, explore their interests, and develop as professionals while making a significant impact on the community.

The Community Service Center is located in 355 Ferguson Center, (205) 348-2865. For more information, visit

Family Weekend. Sponsored by the Parents Association, Family Weekend offers parents and families the opportunity to return to campus to visit with their student, learn more about campus programs and services, tour University facilities, explore the larger Tuscaloosa community, and have fun! For more information, please visit

Parents Association. The Parents Association assists the University in recruiting students, enhances the quality of life of students by promoting educational and developmental opportunities, and provides parents with information and resources that contribute to the successful transition and retention of their student. Formed in the spring of 1993, it enables parents to both actively participate in the life of their student and to interact with and lend support to other parents. The Parents Association is a self-supporting organization that functions on the yearly donations by its members. The toll-free Parents Association Hotline is one of the services provided to parents: 1-800-392-2777. For more information, visit

Parent Orientation. While students are participating in the Bama Bound Student Orientation, parents attend a one-and-a-half day event that prepares them for the adjustments to college life that their students will experience at The University of Alabama. Parents and guardians receive an overview of the campus resources and support services available to assist their student in being a successful member of the Capstone community. Parents and guardians also learn strategies for supporting the successful transition of their student to the University. For more information, visit the website at

Parent Programs. The Office of Parent Programs is located in 132 Mary Burke East. The office may be contacted by phone at (205) 348-8404 or 1-800-392-3277.

Student Development

Healthy Campus Initiative. The Healthy Campus Initiative provides leadership toward building a campus environment that supports physical health, healthy relationships, and the integration of personal and intellectual development. Using information, consultation, and influence, the Healthy Campus Initiative engages units from across campus and the community in programs, publicity, and practices that provide attractive alternatives to high-risk behaviors among students, aid students in making positive choices for their well-being, and focus student life on expanding life skills, intellect, and knowledge.

For more information, contact the Healthy Campus Initiative office at Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292; (205) 348-4930; or visit

Judicial Affairs. Located in 107 Burke West, the Office of Student Development promotes a safe and supportive University community by serving as a resource for students, faculty, and staff who may be affected by others' misconduct. In addition to the administration of the Code of Student Conduct, the office is an advocate for community standards and campus civility through educational programming, mediation, and resolution of student disputes and conflicts of non-academic misconduct. For general information and assistance, contact The University of Alabama, Office of Student Development, Box 870295, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0295 or call (205) 348-8234.

Student Media

Students at The University of Alabama can gain experience in media management, journalism, graphic design, advertising, Internet publishing, and production, as well as become more deeply involved in music, the arts, and history or current events through the Office of Student Media. Within this office, students work for and manage the daily campus newspaper, The Crimson White; the yearbook, Corolla; two semiannual literary magazines, Black Warrior Review and Marr's Field Journal; a scholarly journal, Southern Historian; and the campus radio station, WVUA-FM, New Rock 90.7.

For general information or information on joining a UA student media staff, contact The University of Alabama, Office of Student Media, 100 Student Media Building, Box 870170, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0170; (205) 348-7257.

Student Organizations

Involvement in student organizations can enhance students' educational experiences at The University of Alabama. Academic programs are complemented by and personalized through activities that polish the communication, leadership, and management skills of students who participate. The Office of the Dean of Students, located in 231 Ferguson Center, and the Coordinating Council for Student Organizations (CCSO), located in 341 Ferguson Center, are interested in helping students and student organizations reach their goals. Through workshops, seminars, resource materials, and consultation, the Office of the Dean of Students and CCSO strive to ensure that each student's experiences in out-of-classroom activities are positive and rewarding.

Contact the Office of the Dean of Students at (205) 348-6114, the Coordinating Council for Student Organizations at (205) 348-CCSO, or visit the Web at for information about officers or advisors or about specific organizations.

Additional information about honoraries is available from The University of Alabama, Office of the Dean of Students, Coordinating Council for Honor Societies, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292.

University Recreation

The University Recreation department within Student Affairs conducts sports and fitness programs for the University community. For more information on the following facilities and programs, call (205) 348-3994 or visit our website at

Student Recreation Center

Located on the eastern campus alongside the playing fields, the Student Recreation Center (SRC) is the center of many University Recreation activities and houses the University Recreation administration offices. SRC renovation and expansion was completed during the spring/summer of 2004, which resulted in an approximately 200,000-square-foot facility. The SRC is open to students more than 100 hours per week. Facilities available include multipurpose hardwood courts, large exercise rooms, racquetball and squash courts, a suspended one-eight mile jogging track, a weight/fitness area, a 25-yard indoor pool, outdoor recreation area, multi-activity center for indoor soccer/hockey, Smoothie King, modern shower facilities, dressing rooms with lockers, saunas, and steam rooms, and coming in 2006 a climbing wall. For more information, call (205) 348-5140.

Tennis Courts. Opened in 2002 and located adjacent to the SRC and play fields, 12 lighted courts are available for play seven days a week from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. For more information, call (205) 348-5161.

Outdoor Pool Complex. Opened in June 2003, the Outdoor Pool Complex is located adjacent to the Student Recreation Center on the corner of 5th Avenue and Campus Drive. Coupled with water amenities that are unique to a college environment and beyond the typical sunning and informal social gathering, the ample deck space is the perfect setting for intimate concerts, speakers, and float-in movies. Although the facility has a water park feel, the space is multifunctional and will have special events and social gatherings nine months a year. For more information, call (205) 348-POOL.

Fitness Services

Programming and services aimed at improving the health and wellness of UA students include

BamAerobics. These classes include

Classes to fit your schedule and style are available. You may pick up a semester schedule at the SRC. For more information, call (205) 348-5140.

Intramurals. University Recreation offers over 40 intramural activities for men, women, and coed. These individual, dual, and team sports range from tennis (singles and doubles) to horseshoes to wrestling. Traditional competitive sports (flag football, basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball) are also offered. The Intramurals program also includes special events. Most indoor intramural activities are held at the Student Recreation Center. Adjacent to the Student Recreation Center are nine lighted playing fields that provide quality turf for intramural flag football, softball, and soccer. For more information, call (205) 348-8055.

Outdoor recreation. A newly renovated outdoor recreation area was completed in spring 2004. The outdoor rental center is available for rental of camping and other outdoor recreation equipment. Information is also available for trips conducted by the outdoor recreation department throughout the year. The outdoor rental center is located on the eastern side of the Recreation Center. For more information, call (205) 348-7045.

Sports clubs. University Recreation currently offers 17 sports clubs with emphasis on competition, skill development, and social interaction: wrestling, racquetball, disc golf, water polo, Bama Ultimate Frisbee, lacrosse, wheelchair basketball, rugby, water-skiing, crew, soccer, volleyball, team handball, cricket, and cycling. For more information, call 348-5141.

Aquatic Center

The University's Aquatic Center, located on Paul Bryant Drive, is a great place to swim and workout. Facilities available include

For more information, call (205) 348-6155.

Women's Resource Center

The Women's Resource Center (WRC) fosters the equal participation of women in the University community through programs and services that promote healthy lifestyles, personal development, leadership, and social-justice activism. The Women's Resource Center supports the fulfillment of the University of Alabama's overarching vision to create a sense of community while reaching out to serve the needs of others. In an effort to fulfill its missions and goals, WRC encourages participation of all persons in the community, including men.

WRC provides many programs and services for students addressing such areas as leadership development, personal growth, body image and eating disorders, gender communication, healthy relationships, etc. The center also houses the Frances S. Summersell Library, providing books, videos, and other resource materials on a variety of women's issues. In addition, the center provides free and confidential counseling and advocacy services for students who are victims of sexual assault or relationship violence.

For additional information about programs and services, contact the Women's Resource Center at (205) 348-5040 or check out their website at