You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2004-2006 Undergraduate Catalog
  Next   Previous   Contents   Search   UA  

[College of Education]


The College of Education offers undergraduate programs leading to the bachelor of science in education or the bachelor of science degree. These programs require the completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours in prescribed and elective courses, as set forth in this catalog (most programs require the completion of more than 120 hours). Graduates will also have met the prescribed minimum standards of scholarship.

A minimum of 32 semester hours, including 9 of the last 18 hours required for a degree, must be earned in residence at The University of Alabama as an enrolled student in the College of Education.

If a student does not complete requirements for the undergraduate degree within a period of seven years from the date of admission, the College of Education will modify the student's program to bring it into compliance with current degree and certification requirements. In addition, a student in a teacher education program must complete that program's requirements within four years from the date of formal admission to the program, or he or she must reapply for admission.

Upon reentering, any student with a break in his or her enrollment at The University of Alabama (fall or spring semesters) will be placed in the program required of newly admitted students. Exceptions may be made by personnel in the Office of Student Services and Certification.

Because of the number of educational options available to students in the College, sample programs of study for the various education majors cannot be provided here. Instead, detailed program outlines are available from academic advisors in the various program offices. In general, students take 100-level courses during the first year of college, 200-level courses during the second year, and 300- and 400-level courses during the third and fourth years.

Each undergraduate program contains a group of courses classified as general studies. These courses must be taken in the proper prescribed sequence during the freshman and sophomore years, until they are completed. Required studies in English are part of the general studies requirement; a student must enroll each semester in the prescribed composition and literature courses, until the English requirement is completed.

Lower and Upper Divisions

As of fall 1998, the College of Education consists of two undergraduate divisions: the lower division and the upper division. The lower division is for the following majors: sports fitness management, human performance (non-certification and physical education teacher education), and PRED (pre-education majors). Students seeking teacher licensure are enrolled as pre-education majors—a general category—until specified general studies requirements (areas I-V) (see p. 175-177) are completed. At that point, each student may apply for admission to the upper division (PTEP). The upper division is for (a) students who advance successfully from the previously mentioned non-certification majors; (b) PTEP (formerly PRED) students having completed required hours in general studies who also meet GPA and other requirements; and (c) TEP (formerly PTEP) students admitted to the various teacher education (certification) programs.

Admission. Admission to the upper division of the College of Education is competitive, and meeting minimum criteria does not guarantee admission. Admission to the upper division for non-certification majors requires meeting criteria established by the various non-certification programs. Students seeking admission to the upper division for certification programs must complete five stages prior to graduation: PRED (pre-education), PTEP (pre-teacher education program), admission to a teacher education program in one of the various teaching fields, placement in and successful completion of the internship, and successful completion of the exit examination. When applying to the upper division, students must meet college and program admission criteria currently established for new students.

PRED—Students identified as PRED are restricted from enrolling in 300- 400-level courses in the College of Education. PRED majors will be given two opportunities per year to apply for PTEP. (Transfer students should have their transcripts evaluated prior to the preregistration period. Those who meet the standards may be enrolled as PTEP. Others will begin in PRED.)

PTEP—Students with GPAs of at least 2.75 who anticipate completing at least 41 semester hours (primarily from Areas I-IV) by the end of the term (unless otherwise indicated—see individual programs in this catalog) should attend an orientation session during the term to request changing the major to PTEP. PTEP students are enrolled in the College of Education.

Students who have achieved placement in the PTEP major concentration are allowed to register for certain 300- and 400-level courses. PTEP students (and students admitted to a TEP) are allowed to register for any remaining general studies courses, BEP 305, SPE 300, and, according to the major, the following:

Elementary: MUE 385, BEF 362, CRD 369, CEE 320, BEP 305, SPE 300 (concurrent enrollment).

Secondary education: CSE 390/CSE 493 and courses in the teaching field at the 300/400 level.

Special education (Interdisciplinary Teacher Education): Coursework based on semester of initial registration.

Physical education (Kinesiology): Students who have completed or are concurrently enrolled in all remaining 100- and 200-level required courses may enroll in: HPE 300, HPE 306, HPE 365, HPE 362, HPE 366.

Music education: Courses specific to the program (these majors adhere to very tightly prescribed schedules and should meet regularly and often with their advisors).

Admitted to a TEP—Students must be admitted formally to a TEP. Applications are available through the Office of Student Services located at 104 Carmichael Hall. Students successfully completing the process for admission to a TEP will be enrolled according to the teaching field. Such students will be allowed to take courses according to current policies (see "Criteria for Admission to TEP" p. 174).

  1. Writing requirements. Students should check with program advisors and/or personnel in the Office of Student Services and Certification. Students seeking admission to the TEP in the elementary education program will be assessed a fee for taking a required writing assessment.

  2. Alabama Prospective Teacher Test. The Alabama Prospective Teacher Test has replaced the Alabama Basic Skills Test and must be taken prior to admission to TEP. Please check with personnel in 104 Carmichael Hall to obtain the latest information, including test dates and times.

  3. Interview. Each candidate for admission must successfully complete an interview arranged by program or department faculty. Speaking skills and knowledge and abilities based on previous coursework will be among the attributes assessed in the interview.

  4. Other requirements. Programs/departments may have additional requirements for admission to the upper division. For example, some programs may require competitive ACT and/or SAT scores in addition to the minimum GPA (2.75 on the 41-hour Core Curriculum; 2.5 in human performance studies/kinesiology) and other requirements. See the sections on individual programs in this catalog.

  5. Internship. After successfully completing all required coursework, each student is screened for placement into an internship.

  6. Exit examination. Each student in a certification program must successfully complete an exit examination that covers the teaching field(s) and concepts associated with (a) educational psychology, (b) a survey course in special education, (c) social foundations of education, and (d) the evaluation of teaching and learning. The exit examination is usually administered during the semester of the internship experience. The exit examinations over the teaching fields use a variety of assessment techniques. Check with personnel of the Office of Student Services and Certification (104 Carmichael Hall) for more information regarding these criteria.

Non-Certification Majors* Certification Majors**
Third Semester Fourth Semester Third Semester
Fourth Semester
Fifth Semester Sixth Semester Fifth Semester
Sixth Semester
Seventh Semester Eighth Semester Seventh Semester
Eighth Semester

*Sports fitness management and human performance
**Elementary education, secondary education, special education, MAP, physical education, and music education (the latter is not classified PRED)

The table above represents conceptually the upper and lower divisions of the College of Education. Not all students complete programs in eight semesters, but the table can be illustrative of common patterns of academic progression. While all "semesters" are important, in certification programs the fourth and fifth semesters are especially critical. Many students will have met criteria for admission to the upper division and admission into a teacher education program by the end of the third semester. These students may be accepted into the upper division. A community college or other junior-level transfer student meeting GPA and other requirements may be admitted tentatively to the upper division during the fifth semester and must complete requirements for admission to a teacher education program by the end of that semester.

Continuation in the upper division. To continue to be eligible for enrollment in the upper division of the College of Education, a student must successfully complete any remaining courses in the teaching field(s) or major, and, for certification programs, the professional education courses, including successful clinical placements. Unless otherwise indicated for a specific program, the GPA in the teaching field—and, if transfer work, the overall GPA—must be at least 2.75. In professional education courses, the GPA must be at least 2.75, with no grade less than "C." For students in non-certification programs, required minimum GPAs vary from program to program. All students should be aware of and monitor their GPAs and should project when they will be able to enroll in required courses.

Students are expected to become familiar with the regulations discussed in "Student Records and General Academic Policies," p. 19.

Admission and Retention in the College of Education (Certification Programs)

Criteria for admission to TEP. Applications for admission to the teacher education program (TEP) are available in the College of Education Office of Student Services and Certification. Students who meet the following minimum criteria may apply for admission to the teacher education program.

NOTE: Enrollment in specific courses in the College of Education may be restricted to students who clearly demonstrate the greatest potential for success as teachers. Factors such as general studies courses completed, GPA, scores on state and program tests, interviews, etc., may be considered. Admission to this program is competitive, and meeting stated criteria does not guarantee admission. Rather, persons who meet stated criteria are guaranteed consideration for admission to the teacher education program. An individual may request from the program chairperson or his or her advisor information concerning summative data on the most recent previous admissions.

Admission to a teacher education program will be based on evaluations of the applications to identify those applicants who are best qualified and who show a strong likelihood of success in their chosen areas. The evaluations will reveal the relative strengths and weaknesses in each applicant's credentials in light of the area in which the applicant wishes to teach and the applicant's understanding of, and commitment to, teaching as a profession, as well as the oral skills, mature judgment, and demeanor necessary to become successful as a teacher. Any applicable test score, or subscore, and grades in previous courses should reflect a strong record in the major area of study.

According to program requirements, an applicant must pass a writing examination and/or attach a statement regarding choosing teaching as a profession.

The evaluations will include an interview with at least two faculty members. The interview evaluation will become part of the application for admission to the teacher education program. The entire application will be evaluated by appropriate members of the faculty who will make a recommendation to the dean. The dean will make the final decision.

Persons who hold college degrees and wish to complete certification programs to teach in the public schools or to complete the TEP in order to qualify for certain graduate programs must meet the admission criteria outlined above and must follow all application procedures. Students should check with academic advisors for specific departmental TEP admissions requirements.

The satisfactory completion of BEP 305 Educational Psychology (or its equivalent), BEF 360 or BEP 360 Social and Psychological Foundations of Education, and admission to the teacher education program are prerequisites to enrollment in professional methods courses.

Clinical Placements

All clinical placements in the College of Education are coordinated through the Office of Clinical Experiences. These placements are in the greater Tuscaloosa area in order to facilitate supervision of students. If an appropriate placement cannot be secured in the Tuscaloosa area, recommendations will be made for an alternate placement by the department head.

Professional Liability

Students enrolled in College of Education courses that require a clinical placement are required to provide proof of professional liability insurance before being allowed to participate in a clinical placement. Professional liability insurance may be purchased through an independent insurer or is available to students who are members of the Student Alabama Education Association (SAEA), the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), or Collegiate Music Educators National Conference (CMENC). Further information and membership applications may be obtained from the Office of Clinical Experiences.

Internship Requirements

The teaching internship (formerly called student teaching) is one of the most important experiences a College of Education student has. It is generally regarded as the culminating activity of one's preparation to become a teacher. At The University of Alabama, the internship is a full-semester, full-time assignment and must be taken in residence. A student enrolled for an internship must not expect to be enrolled in other courses while interning.

Both undergraduate and alternative (nontraditional, fifth-year) students must file internship applications with the Office of Clinical Experiences in 105 Graves Hall during the semester preceding the semester of the planned internships. The application process begins by attending a mandatory application session, which is held in September for spring-semester interns and in February for fall-semester interns. The time, date, and place of the application session are announced at the beginning of each semester. The deadline for filing applications for spring-semester internships is October 31; for fall-semester internships, the deadline is March 31.

A student may apply to enroll for an internship if he or she meets the following criteria:

  1. The student must have been admitted to the teacher education program or an alternative (nontraditional, fifth-year) program. Internship applications will not be processed until admission is verified.

  2. The student must have completed all courses in the major or majors prior to the internship.

  3. Unless otherwise indicated, the student must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.75, both for all University of Alabama courses attempted and for all University of Alabama courses and transfer courses combined.

  4. Unless otherwise indicated, the student must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.75 in each major, both for University of Alabama courses in each major and for combined University of Alabama courses and transfer courses in each major.

  5. The student must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.75 for professional education coursework, with no grade below a "C" in any professional education coursework.

  6. The student must have completed all methods courses and appropriate professional coursework with grades of "C" or higher.

  7. The student must have removed from the transcript any grade of incomplete ("I") recorded in required courses; grades of incomplete are treated as grades of "F."

Registration for internship credit hours. Undergraduate students are required to register for the number of internship credit hours specified by their programs. In some programs, an undergraduate student may be allowed to choose a 9-hour registration or a 12-hour registration; course requirements are the same whether 9 hours or 12 hours are taken. A student enrolled for an internship must not expect to be enrolled in other courses while interning.


All internship placements are coordinated by the College of Education Office of Clinical Experiences. A placement site will be selected in a manner to ensure the quality of the internship experience and of the supervision provided by the cooperating teacher. All internship placements (except for music education) are in the greater Tuscaloosa area, in order to facilitate supervision of students by University of Alabama faculty or other designees of the department heads. Placement outside the greater Tuscaloosa area is made only if the Office of Clinical Experiences and/or a department head determines that appropriate local placement is unavailable.

A student may apply for an overseas internship if he or she meets certain criteria and if appropriate placement can be coordinated by the Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching (COST) and/or The University of Alabama. Applications for overseas internships are taken during January for placements for the next fall semester and in June for placements the succeeding spring semester. Contact the Office of Clinical Experiences in 105 Graves Hall for additional information.


Majors who enroll for internships in collaborative teacher education, early childhood special education, elementary education, physical education, English as a second language, foreign language education (P-12), and music education should expect split assignments. A secondary education student who has a comprehensive major and is enrolled for an internship may receive a single internship assignment or a split assignment. A secondary education student who has two secondary education majors receives a split assignment, one-half in each of the two majors.

Application for Licensure

Any University student who plans to teach in Alabama after graduation must file the proper application form for a certificate. Forms are available and are filed in the Office of Student Services and Certification in 104 Carmichael Hall. Applications should be filed at least one semester in advance of graduation. A student who does not apply for professional licensure within five years after completing the state-approved program may be required to fulfill additional, current requirements. Students who plan to teach in other states must secure the proper professional licensure application forms from those states' departments of education. The assistant dean for student services in the College of Education has been designated the teacher certification officer for the University. Students who need information about or assistance with certification should consult the assistant dean for student services.

Teacher warranty. According to regulations mandated by the Alabama State Board of Education, the College of Education ensures that "a candidate's competency to begin his or her professional role in schools is assessed prior to completion of the program and/or recommendation for certification" and establishes, publishes, and implements "policies to guarantee the success of individuals who complete its approved programs and are employed in their area(s) of specialization." The College of Education provides "remediation at no cost to such individuals who are recommended . . . and are deemed to be unsatisfactory based on performance evaluations established by the State Board of Education and within two years after program completion."

Required General Studies Courses

These general studies courses include most University of Alabama Core Curriculum requirements; however, the core curriculum writing requirement (the W courses) is not satisfied by these hours of general studies courses.

NOTE: Courses listed below reflect general options, but not all teaching fields are enhanced by every option, and some require additional coursework. Additional courses approved by the state of Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee could be appropriate under the terms of the Statewide Articulation Reporting System (STARS). To avoid taking extra courses, each student should select, whenever possible, general studies courses that may be utilized in his or her teaching field or major. Please refer to notes below and to the specific teaching field(s) for more precise requirements.


EN 101 and EN 102 (FC)6 hours
    or EN 103 English Composition (FC)3 hours


Total hours12 hours
Complete at least one course from the following:
    EN/WL 207 World Literature (L)
    EN/WL 208 World Literature (L)
    EN 205 English Literature I (L)
    EN 206 English Literature II (L)
    EN 209 American Literature I (L)
    EN 210 American Literature II (L)
    EN 215 Honors English Literature I (L)
    EN 216 Honors English Literature II (L)
    EN 219 Honors American Literature I (L)
    EN 220 Honors American Literature II (L)3-6 hours
NOTE: Students should select courses from areas II and IV so that at least one 6-semester-hour sequence of either literature (e.g., English, American, or world) or history is presented.
Public Speaking*
COM 123 Public Speaking (HU)
COM 210 Oral Interpretation (HU)3 hours
Fine Arts3 hours
    ARH 151 Introduction to the Visual Arts
    ARH 252 Survey of Art I or
        ARH 253 Survey of Art II or
            ARH 254 Survey of Art III
    MUS 121 Introduction to Listening or
        TCF 112 Motion Picture History and Criticism
    TH 114 Introduction to Theatre or MUS 250 Music in World Cultures
Additional course from area II3 hours
NOTE: Students should select courses from areas II and IV so that at least one 6-semester-hour sequence of either literature or history is presented.
*A music education major may satisfy this requirement by earning a passing score on the Speech Proficiency Examination.


Total hours8-12
NOTE: While it is suggested that students select courses from both group I and group II, for most teaching fields and majors it is possible to complete 8 semester hours from either group.
Group I: 4 semester hours from the following:
    BSC 108 Introductory Biology for Non-Majors (N)
    BSC 109 Introductory Biology for Non-Majors (N)
    BSC 114:115 Principles of Biology I (N)
    BSC 116:117 Principles of Biology II (N)
Group II: 4 semester hours from the following:
    AEM 120 Aerospace Science for Educators (N)
    AY 101:102 Introduction to Astronomy (N)
    CH 101 General Chemistry I (N)
    CH 104 Introductory Chemistry (N)
    CH 107 Introductory Chemistry for Non-Majors I (N)
    AEM 130 Artificial Intelligence (N)
    GEO 101 Introduction to Geology I (N)
    GY 101 or GY 102 Principles of Physical Geography I or II (N)
    PH 101 (or PH 101:103) General Physics I (N, MA)
    PH 115 Descriptive Physics for Non-Science Majors (N)
Group III: In addition to Group I and II courses required of all students in the College of Education, students majoring in elementary education, the Multiple Abilities Program, and special education must complete 4 additional semester hours from N courses. It is suggested that students in elementary education choose AEM 120 or another, advisor-approved, interdisciplinary science course.


Total hours3
Any of the following courses:
    MATH 110 Finite Mathematics
    MATH 112 Precalculus Algebra
    MATH 113 Precalculus Trigonometry
    MATH 115 Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry
    MATH 121 Calculus and Its Applications
    MATH 125 Calculus I
    MATH 126 Calculus II
NOTE: Students in elementary education (K-6), the Multiple Abilities Program (K-6), and special education are required to complete additional work in mathematics. See notes under these teaching fields. Students preparing to teach general science, biology, chemistry, and physics need to meet specific MATH requirements. See notes under the various teaching fields.


Total hours12
At least one HY course:
    HY 101 Western Civilization to 1648 (HI),
    HY 102 Western Civilization since 1648 (HI),
    HY 203 American Civilization to 1865 (HI), or
    HY 204 American Civilization since 1865 (HI)
NOTE: Students should select courses from areas II and IV so that at least one 6-semester-hour sequence of either literature or history (e.g., Western, American) is completed.
PY 101 Introduction to Psychology (see area V) (SB)
HD 101 Human Development (see area V) (SB)
ANT 100 Introduction to Anthropology (SB)
ANT 102 General Anthropology II (SB)
ANT 103 Great Discoveries in Archaeology (SB)
ANT 110 Language and Culture (SB)
EC 110 Principles of Microeconomics (SB)
EC 111 Principles of Macroeconomics (SB)
GY 105 World Regional Geography (SB)
GY 110 Principles of Human Geography (SB)
PSC 101 Introduction to American Politics (SB)
SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology (SB)
SOC 202 Analysis of Social Problems (SB)


Total hours19-23
[Courses appropriate to the degree requirements and major of the individual student. Special education majors should select general studies courses. High-school and P-12 majors (except special education) should select courses appropriate to their majors. Additional, specific courses may be required for the various majors.]
Educational psychology prerequisite requirement
PY 101 or HD 101 (may be taken as part of area IV requirements.)
Foreign language/computer language requirement
(3-8 semester hours)
One of the following:
    Option 1: Satisfy the foreign language core requirement (FL)3-8
    Option 2: Satisfy the computer science core requirement (C)6
    NOTE: Option 2 is not part of area V of the articulation agreement.
General studies elective(s)
In some majors, additional courses may need to be taken to complete
a total of 120 hours or to fulfill prerequisites for the required courses

  Next   Previous   Contents   Search   UA