You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2004-2006 Undergraduate Catalog
  Next   Previous   Contents   Search   UA  

[Support Programs and Services for Students]


Through activities, programs, and interactions, the Division of Student Affairs fosters an environment in the University supporting learning, healthy lifestyles, leadership and career development, personal growth, and inclusiveness. In keeping with the University's mission and heritage, the division works to provide students with the experiences and skills that lead to productive and fulfilled lives. To this end, the Division of Student Affairs complements and supplements the academic enterprise, maintaining both a climate on campus and range of programs that enhance student learning and personal growth.


The Office of the Dean of Students serves to facilitate the lifelong development of students through programs and services that enhance scholarship, citizenship, an inclusive community, and integrity, and that support the mission of The University of Alabama. This objective is accomplished through leadership programs, greek affairs, cultural enrichment, membership in student organizations, and student self-governance. The office also seeks to serve as a starting point for students and parents who have questions or concerns and for those students seeking to become involved. The dean's staff is trained to facilitate problem solving and referral when needed. The major program components are as follows:

Coordinating Council for Student Organizations (CCSO). CCSO is the student coordinating body that supports nearly 300 registered student organizations. The council encourages student participation through publicity campaigns and provides meeting and fund management training. Get on Board Day is an organizational fair in which students are invited to meet members and learn about the organizations for which they may have interest for membership.

Graduate Student Services. Graduate Student Services provides resources, services, and programs aimed at the specific needs of graduate students, including orientation for new graduate students. The office also advises the Graduate Student Association, Alpha Epsilon Lambda, and the Research and Travel Committee. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) is a forum for graduate students to express concerns of the graduate community, to enhance the quality of the graduate educational experience, and to stand as an advocate for change and improvement of services for graduate students. An honor society, Alpha Epsilon Lambda, recognizes academic excellence and leadership of graduate and professional students. The Research and Travel Committee, a part of GSA, distributes funds for an option for undergraduate and graduate students participating in research and/or travel.

Graduate Student Services is located in 231 Ferguson Center, in the Dean of Students Office. The office may be contacted by phone at (205) 348-6796 or fax (205) 348-7610. The GSA is located on the third floor of Ferguson Center and can be reached at (205) 348-8562.

Greek Affairs. The greek affairs area supports and advises the governing bodies of the greek system (Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, and National Pan-Hellenic Council) and its 46 member organizations. The staff assists with programs such as leadership development, scholarship, and associate member education. The office provides a resource center for chapter officers and advisors, maintains contact with international office and alumni groups, and administers campus policies pertaining to greek organizations.

Leadership Development. Leadership development, located in the Office of the Dean of Students, supports the academic experience by providing programs and opportunities to enhance student leadership development, foster civic responsibility, and promote shared responsibility within a healthy community. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to participate in programs focusing on ethical, purposeful, and inclusive leadership. Additionally, leadership development staff can develop and/or provide leadership workshops for campus groups and organizations.

For more information, please refer to or contact The University of Alabama, Office of the Dean of Students, 231 Ferguson Center, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292; (205) 348-6114.

Multicultural Affairs. The Office of the Dean of Students, along with Renewed Alliance for Cultural Education (RACE), a student organization, works to improve intercultural understanding and collaboration among all communities that comprise The University of Alabama. Innovative programming is at the heart of outreach efforts to appreciate and support students, faculty, and staff who value academic and social diversity. The areas also serve as advocates and reporting channels for and provide counseling to those reporting bias incidents on campus. The Office of the Dean of Students is housed in 231 Ferguson Center. Renewed Alliance for Cultural Education is located in 121-D B. B. Comer Hall.

On-Call Dean. The on-call dean program is designed to assist students in crises and to provide a link for parents who may be great distances from the campus. The on-call dean will assist students who have life, health, or family emergencies and other life problems when assistance is needed.

Parents Association. The Office of the Dean of Students serves as the advisor to the Parents Association. The Parents Association is a dedicated group of parents who seek to improve the quality of the college experience by assisting the dean's staff with specialized programming for parents. All parents are welcome to join for a modest annual membership fee. The toll-free Parents Association Hotline number is 1-800-392-2777.

Student Government Association. The Student Government Association (SGA) offers students opportunities for self-governance and leadership development. SGA consists of three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. Elections are held each spring semester for senate and executive posts. Activities and services of the SGA include Homecoming, the emergency loan program, the student legal clinic, diversity awareness, and assistance with new student orientation. Financial support is available for registered student organizations on campus through the Financial Affairs Committee (FAC). The purpose of FAC is to distribute funds from student activity fees to registered student campus organizations. Request forms are available in the Student Government Association (SGA) office in the Ferguson Center.

University Programs (UP). UP provides cultural enrichment for the University and the Tuscaloosa community through its programming divisions and support areas. These areas encompass nationally known speakers, concerts, and fine arts. See for more information.

Volunteer Services. Volunteer Services is the student-led volunteer center at The University of Alabama. The mission of Volunteer Services is to promote leadership and encourage volunteer service among UA's students and student organizations. Volunteer Services gives students the opportunity to utilize their talents, explore their interests, and develop as professionals while making a significant impact on the community.

The Office of the Dean of Students is located in 231 Ferguson Center, (205) 348-6114.

Career Center

Visiting the Career Center (330 Ferguson Center) introduces students and alumni to a comprehensive range of career development services and employment opportunities. Through the Career Center, students and alumni can

The Career Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. For more information, call (205) 348-5848.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center helps students achieve academic success and personal growth through quality counseling, psychological and consultative services. By providing emotional health care services of a short-term nature, the Counseling Center serves as a screening, intake, and referral resource that assists all students in identifying their needs and locating an appropriate resource if their needs are outside the scope of services offered. Among the services provided are individual, couple, and group counseling and substance abuse counseling, crisis intervention, and medication referral services. For general information and assistance, please call (205) 348-3863.

Ferguson Center

The Ferguson Center Student Union collaboratively serves the educational mission of the University by encouraging, supporting, and celebrating personal development, involvement, citizenship, leadership, and respect for a healthy community.

The Ferguson Center serves as the center of the campus community and is a central place to meet friends, check e-mail or complete assignments in the Computer Lab, have a quick bite to eat or a full meal, mail a package, or relax in the Game Room. The Ferguson Center is open more than 340 days per year, seven days per week, and at least 15 hours per day to serve the needs of the campus community.

Conference and meeting room reservations for the Ferguson Center, Student Services Center, Ferguson Plaza, and Presidential Pavilion are also made through the Ferguson Union Director's Office. For more information and to access the Online Room Reservation Form, please refer to or contact The University of Alabama, Ferguson Center Union Director's Office, 230 Ferguson Center, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292; (205) 348-7487.

Healthy Campus Initiative

The Healthy Campus Initiative provides leadership toward building a campus environment that supports physical health, healthy relationships, and the integration of personal and intellectual development. Using information, consultation, and influence, the Healthy Campus Initiative engages units from across campus and the community in programs, publicity, and practices that provide attractive alternatives to high-risk behaviors among students, aid students in making positive choices for their well-being, and focus student life on expanding life skills, intellect, and knowledge.

Residential Life

The residential campus is a vital part of the University. Three kinds of campus housing are available: residence halls, undergraduate campus apartments, and graduate campus apartments.

There are real advantages to living on campus. Campus residents often cite the convenience of campus residence facilities to: classrooms, libraries, and student activities; the carefully selected and trained residential life staff; the programs and functions geared to students' academic and social needs; the chance to meet all kinds of students; and ready information about University events. These benefits reflect the University's commitment to maintaining a residential program that helps students develop to their fullest academic and personal potential.

Residence halls. The different campus residence halls can house varied numbers of students, from 100 to 950; about 4,200 students can live in the halls. Amenities in the halls are diverse, ranging from double rooms and suites to singles. The halls are regularly maintained and updated with concern for both their attractiveness and the academic environment they provide. Detailed information about the residence hall environment is sent automatically to students admitted to the University and is also available from The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205) 348-6676; You can also contact Residential Life toll free at 1-888-498-BAMA (2262).

Residence hall applications. Applying to live in a residence hall requires a hall application and a deposit. The application must be returned to The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399. Students who apply before March 1 receive preference in room assignments. A $100 check or money order payable to The University of Alabama must accompany the housing application to cover the $25 application fee and $75 deposit. Students can also apply online at

The deposit (but not the application fee) is refundable, but only if the housing application is canceled no later than July 1 for the fall semester or no later than December 15 for the spring semester. Written notice of the student's intent to cancel must be mailed to the Office of Residential Life at the address above. Neither oral communication with the Residential Life staff nor written communication with other offices constitutes cancellation of a housing application. Refunds will not be issued if cancellations are not postmarked by the dates above.

Residence Hall Association. The Residence Hall Association (RHA), an organization composed of representatives from each building's hall government, allows all students the opportunity to become involved in planning activities and programs for the halls through the use of an activity fee. Students interested in participating in hall government and RHA should contact the residence hall staff.

Residential academic programs. The engineering major living option is offered in Paty and Somerville halls. The focus on academic needs and programs in this major provides many growth opportunities for our students.

Parker-Adams Hall provides a living option for A&S Mentoring Program participants.

The Blount Undergraduate Initiative provides freshmen in the College of Arts and Sciences a unique living-learning center and increased faculty/student contact.

The business living option in Friedman Hall offers programming and advising focused on the needs of students enrolled in the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration.

The University Honors living option is available in New Hall for students with an ACT score of 27 or higher.

The Mallet Assembly in Byrd Hall provides an excellent opportunity for students to assume leadership and service in a self-governing facility.

The Women's Honors Residential Program living option is located in Small Group Housing.

The Capstone Living-Learning option is housed in Harris Hall and has students from the Capstone College of Nursing, College of Human Environmental Sciences, College of Communication and Information Sciences, and College of Arts and Sciences.

For further information about these programs and others, please contact The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205) 348-6676.

Undergraduate campus apartment/suite-style residence halls. The University has 1350 available spaces especially for our junior and senior students. These residents share two to three bedrooms and a common kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The traditional RA interaction is maintained, but a semi-independent living option is offered. Students can apply for this option by check marking Rose Towers, Bryce Lawn, or Highlands on the residence hall application.

Graduate campus apartments. The University maintains more than 200 student apartments geared toward graduate/older students, which offer both the benefits of independent living and the convenience of campus housing. Space in University apartments cannot be guaranteed, so students should apply as early as possible.

Student Government

The Student Government Association (SGA) offers students opportunities for self-governance and leadership development. SGA consists of three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. Elections are held each spring semester for senate and executive posts. Activities and services of the SGA include Homecoming, the emergency loan program, the student legal clinic, new-student orientation, the Capstone Event, the High School Leadership Conference, and student ombudsman. Students can also serve on the nearly 40 SGA committees, which work to improve student life at UA. For more information regarding involvement with the SGA, sign up during Get on Board Day, visit the SGA office in the Ferguson Center, or call (205) 34-UASGA between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.

Student Judicial Affairs

Located in 232 Ferguson Center, the Office of Student Judicial Affairs promotes a safe and supportive University community by serving as a resource for students, faculty, and staff who may be affected by others' misconduct. The office is an advocate for community standards and campus civility through educational programming, mediation and resolution of student disputes and conflicts of non-academic misconduct, and administration of the Code of Student Conduct. For general information and assistance, contact The University of Alabama, Office of Student Judicial Affairs, Box 870295, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0295 or call (205) 348-8234.

Student Media

Students at The University of Alabama can gain experience in media management, journalism, graphic design, advertising, Internet publishing, and production, as well as become more deeply involved in music, the arts, and history or current events through the Office of Student Media. Within this office, students work for and manage the daily campus newspaper, The Crimson White; the yearbook, Corolla; two semiannual literary magazines, Black Warrior Review and Marr's Field Journal; a scholarly journal, Southern Historian; and the campus radio station, WVUA-FM, New Rock 90.7. The Office of Student Media also coordinates the Alabama Scholastic Press Association, an outreach service of workshops and critiques for high-school publication and broadcast staffs.

For general information or information on joining a UA student media staff, contact The University of Alabama, Office of Student Media, 100 Student Media Building, Box 870170, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0170; (205) 348-7257.

Student Organizations

Involvement in student organizations can enhance students' educational experiences at The University of Alabama. Academic programs are complemented by and personalized through activities that polish the communication, leadership, and management skills of students who participate. The Office of the Dean of Students, located in 231 Ferguson Center, and the Coordinating Council for Student Organizations (CCSO), located in 341 Ferguson Center, are interested in helping students and student organizations reach their goals. Through workshops, seminars, resource materials, and consultation, the Office of the Dean of Students and CCSO strive to ensure that each student's experiences in out-of-classroom activities are positive and rewarding.

Contact the Office of the Dean of Students at (205) 348-6114, the Coordinating Council for Student Organizations at (205) 348-CCSO, or visit the Web at for information about officers or advisors or about specific organizations.

Academic organizations. These organizations work to foster appreciation of a particular academic field or discipline among the student body or serve as a governing body within a particular college.

Coordinating bodies. The primary purposes of these organizations involve coordinating activities and support functions of campuswide committees and organizations or representing special campus populations by race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, classification, and only in the case of the umbrella group of international student groups, by national origin.

Departmental honoraries. These organizations recognize accomplishment in a particular department or field of study by requiring a minimum grade-point average (3.00 or above) for membership or by designation as an honor society by a local, national, or state constitution.

Military organizations. These organizations provide academic support, professional development, and/or socialization of students with a common interest in military science.

Political organizations. The purpose of these organizations involves addressing political and governmental concerns and/or promoting interest in traditionally political issues at the campus, local, state, or national level.

Professional organizations. The purpose of these organizations involves developing professional standards among their members and encouraging them to achieve in a particular field or related career path.

Recreational organizations. These organizations encourage the development of skills, knowledge, or support of a particular sport or recreational/leisure activity.

Religious organizations. These organizations aim to enhance the spiritual development of students and/or to foster interdenominational, denominational, or specific spiritual and/or religious tenets.

Service organizations. These organizations provide philanthropic and/or altruistic service to the campus and/or community.

Social/fraternal organizations. Available are 47 fraternities and sororities that are by law exempt from Title IX regulations pertaining to discrimination and are recognized by the Interfraterntiy Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, or the Alabama Panhellenic Association.

Special interest organizations. These organizations encourage interest in and/or awareness of a topic not necessarily related to any of the other specified categories of organizations.

University-wide honoraries. These organizations recognize academic accomplishment (3.00 grade-point average or higher), and/or leadership contributions, and/or co-curricular achievement among students or promote programs related to academic success.

Additional information about honoraries is available from The University of Alabama, Office of the Dean of Students, Coordinating Council for Honor Societies, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292.

University Recreation

The University Recreation department within Student Affairs conducts sports and fitness programs for the University community. For more information on the following facilities and programs, call (205) 348-3994 or visit our website at

Student Recreation Center

Located on the eastern campus alongside the playing fields, the Student Recreation Center (SRC) is the center of many University Recreation activities and houses the University Recreation administration offices. The final phase of expansion will be completed during the spring/summer of 2004, which will result in an approximately 200,000-square-foot facility. The SRC is open to students more than 100 hours per week. Facilities available will include multipurpose hardwood courts, large exercise rooms, racquetball and squash courts, a suspended one-eight mile jogging track, a weight/fitness area, a 25-yard indoor pool, outdoor recreation area, multi-activity center for indoor soccer/hockey, Smoothie King, modern shower facilities, dressing rooms with lockers, saunas, and steam rooms. For more information, call (205) 348-5140.

Tennis Courts. Opened in 2002 and located adjacent to the SRC and play fields, 12 lighted courts are available for play seven days a week from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. For more information, call (205) 348-5161.

Outdoor Pool Complex. Opened in June 2003, the Outdoor Pool Complex is located adjacent to the Student Recreation Center on the corner of 5th Avenue and Campus Drive. Coupled with water amenities that are unique to a college environment and beyond the typical sunning and informal social gathering, the ample deck space is the perfect setting for intimate concerts, speakers, and float-in movies. Although the facility has a water park feel, the space is multifunctional and will have special events and social gatherings nine months a year. For more information, call (205) 348-POOL.

Fitness Services

Programming and services aimed at improving the health and wellness of UA students include

BamAerobics. These classes include

Classes to fit your schedule and style are available. You may pick up a semester schedule at the SRC. For more information, call (205) 348-5140.

Intramurals. University Recreation offers over 40 intramural activities for men, women, and coed. These individual, dual, and team sports range from tennis (singles and doubles) to horseshoes to wrestling. Traditional competitive sports (flag football, basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball) are also offered. The Intramurals program also includes special events. Most indoor intramural activities are held at the Student Recreation Center. Adjacent to the Student Recreation Center are eight lighted playing fields that provide quality turf for intramural flag football, softball, and soccer. For more information, call (205) 348-8055.

Outdoor recreation. A newly renovated outdoor recreation area will be completed in spring 2004. The outdoor rental center is available for rental of camping and other outdoor recreation equipment. Information is also available for trips conducted by the outdoor recreation department throughout the year. The outdoor rental center is located on the eastern side of the Recreation Center. For more information, call (205) 348-7045.

Sports clubs. University Recreation currently offers 15 sports clubs with emphasis on competition, skill development, and social interaction: wrestling, racquetball, disc golf, water polo, Bama Ultimate Frisbee, lacrosse, rugby, water-skiing, crew, soccer, volleyball, team handball, cricket, and cycling. For more information, call 348-5141.

Aquatic Center

The University's Aquatic Center, located on Paul Bryant Drive, is a great place to swim and workout. Facilities available include

For more information, call (205) 348-6155.

Women's Resource Center

The Women's Resource Center (WRC) provides outreach, services, and advocacy to empower women and encourage their full, active, and equal participation in the University community. The Women's Resource Center supports the fulfillment of the University of Alabama's overarching vision to create a sense of community while reaching out to serve the needs of others. In an effort to fulfill its missions and goals, WRC encourages participation of all persons in the community, including men.

WRC provides many programs and services for students addressing such areas as leadership development, personal growth, body image and eating disorders, gender communication, healthy relationships, etc. The center also houses the Frances S. Summersell Library, providing books, videos, and other resource materials on a variety of women's issues. In addition, the center provides free and confidential counseling and advocacy services for students who are victims of sexual assault or relationship violence.

For additional information about services and programs, please contact The University of Alabama, Women's Resource Center, Third Floor Russell Hall, Box 870360, Tuscaloosa, AL 35847-0360; (205) 348-5040; fax (205) 348-5282.

  Next   Previous   Contents   Search   UA