You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog
Next Previous Contents Search UA

[College of Engineering]


Cooperative Education Program. The Cooperative Education Program is a University-wide educational plan in which students alternate periods of full-time study on campus with full-time employment in industry. Work assignments are arranged to relate to each student's academic program and career goals. For more information, see p. 55 of this catalog or contact The University of Alabama, Director of the Cooperative Education Program, Box 870200, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0200; (205) 348-6422;

Engineering Career Services. The College of Engineering maintains a multi-service career office visited or contacted each year by recruiters from many companies and facilities (private and government) for the purpose of interviewing and recruiting qualified students. Individual career and job search assistance is available to College of Engineering students at all levels seeking permanent, part-time, or summer employment. Students who register with the office, and provide their employment qualifications and interests, may take part in many programs, including on-campus recruiting, resumé referral, job postings, resumé writing assistance, interview skills assistance, employer information, job search skills assistance, and career guidance. For more information, contact The University of Alabama, College of Engineering, Director of Engineering Career Services, Box 870200, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0200; (205) 348-6382;

Engineering Honors Program. Engineering honors sections may be offered within the traditional engineering curriculum. The departments offering these courses will determine the extent of honors effort and which sections of the respective courses (separate numbers, names of instructors, etc.) to schedule. Details can be obtained from the University Honors Program office. Engineering courses may also include provisions to teach "honors by contract." This is an agreement among the instructor, the student, and the University Honors Program oversight committee that prearranges credit for honors-level work in the course.

High-school and junior-college relations. The College's Office of Student Recruitment serves prospective freshman and transfer students. In addition to providing information about engineering programs, the office provides information and consultation to high-school and junior-college counselors; arranges interviews and tours of the College's facilities for prospective students; arranges visits by College of Engineering staff to other institutions for the purpose of counseling or lecturing; and plans programs for Engineers' Day (E-Day) and numerous other on-campus events. For more information on the services offered by this office, contact The University of Alabama, College of Engineering, Coordinator of Engineering Student Recruitment, Box 870200, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0200; (205) 348-2547 or toll-free 1-800-369-ENGR.

Multicultural Engineering Program. The Multicultural Engineering Program (MEP) assists minority students who want to pursue careers in engineering or computer science. MEP services include pre-college counseling; enrollment counseling; tutorial assistance and counseling for enrolled students; and assistance with the Cooperative Education Program, internship programs, and job placement upon graduation. MEP also assists undergraduate students applying for scholarships and other financial aid, and provide information about scholarships and fellowships for graduate students. For more information, contact The University of Alabama, Multicultural Engineering Program Coordinator, Box 870200, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0200; (205) 348-4267.

Residence hall engineering floors. Residence hall programs administered by the College of Engineering provide for on-site tutoring and counseling services for engineering students living in University housing. For details, contact The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205) 348-6676.

Undergraduate counseling. From the first semester of enrollment, each engineering student has an academic adviser who is a faculty member in the College. Additional counseling services are also available to all undergraduate engineering students through the College's Engineering Student Services office.

Top Next Previous Contents Search UA