You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog
Next Previous Contents Search UA

[College of Arts and Sciences]


Student Responsibility

  1. Students are expected to familiarize themselves with College of Arts and Sciences degree requirements and regulations and to consult academic advisers in planning their programs of study.

  2. Students are responsible for registering for course loads appropriate to the degrees they seek and consistent with their individual circumstances.

  3. Students are expected to pursue successful completion of all courses for which they enroll.

  4. Each student is responsible for monitoring the accuracy of the analysis of academic progress report each semester, reporting any errors to the College registrar in the A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall. Students receive reports at midterm during the registration advising period.

  5. Each student is expected to maintain a mailing address and telephone number at which he or she can be reached with reasonable certainty and to respond promptly to all communications from the University and the College.

  6. Students are expected to be familiar with the current academic calendar.

Admission and Retention

The College of Arts and Sciences admits students on the basis of the University's general admission requirements (see p. 13). In some departments, admission to upper-division status, clinical training programs, internships, practicums, etc., may require higher levels of scholarship. See the program descriptions of the various departments (below). Retention is based on the general scholarship rule and the scholastic progress standard.

Normal Progress

During the fall and spring semesters, the average course load for students in the College of Arts and Sciences is 15 hours per semester. A course load of more than 18 hours requires special permission (A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall).

During the summer semester, each student may enroll for a maximum of 14 hours (7 hours each term).

Planning of Major and Minor Programs of Study

Students plan their major and minor programs of study in consultation with their departmental advisers. Changes in coursework required for the major or minor program of study can be made upon the written recommendation of the program adviser and approval of the department chairperson. Such changes are reported to the College registrar in 200 Clark Hall for incorporation into the student's record.

Certification of Acceptance for Major and Minor Programs of Study

The student is responsible for making application for acceptance into the major and minor. While there is no single time for this to occur, the College encourages students to decide on the major before the junior year. Students should be familiar with the criteria for acceptance into particular programs and be prepared to meet those criteria. Requirements for acceptance and procedures for obtaining the certification of acceptance for major/minor programs of study are available in department offices. Forms and assistance are also available in the A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall.

Upper Division

The College of Arts and Sciences maintains two enrollment categories, upper division and lower division. Students meet requirements specified by the departments and submit the "Certification of Acceptance for Major/Minor Program of Study" form in order to progress from lower-division to upper-division status. Students are strongly encouraged to move to the upper division no later than the beginning of the junior year.


Students are encouraged to maintain at least 12 hours of coursework each fall and spring semester.

First-semester freshmen and first-semester transfer students who have not met the freshman composition requirement enroll in an appropriate English composition course and continue taking required English courses without interruption until the composition requirement is met. Students may not drop required freshman-level English courses. These are EN 099, EN 101, EN 102, EN 103, EN 120, and EN 121. Students also may not withdraw from mathematics courses graded "A," "B," "C," or "NC." These mathematics courses include MATH 005, MATH 110, MATH 112, MATH 113, and MATH 115.

A student may drop a course from or add a course to his or her schedule during the late registration period at the beginning of each semester. Specific dates are published in the schedule of classes booklet.

A student may add a course throughout the late registration period in accordance with the policy set forth in the normal progress statement above.

A student may drop a course other than the English and mathematics courses listed above with a grade of "W" during the first ten weeks of the fall and spring semesters.

After the tenth week of class, only under extraordinary (and well-documented) circumstances are students permitted to withdraw from a class with a grade of "W."

The short summer terms permit a drop with a grade of "W" for two weeks.


A student may audit one course per semester. Permission to audit is obtained in the A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall. An auditor may not take the tests or the final examination in the course. A course that is taken as an audit may not be taken at a later date for credit.

Pass/Fail Option

The pass/fail option is designed to encourage students to explore areas of study outside the major and minor. A course taken pass/fail counts as elective credit only. It cannot be used to satisfy any specific requirement and does not count in the minimum number of hours required for the major or minor.

Pass/fail regulations are explained on p. 21. To take courses pass/fail, students in the College of Arts and Sciences must receive approval of their pass/fail requests in the A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall.

Duplication of Credit

A course with content that substantially duplicates material the student has covered in another course cannot be applied toward a degree. It is the student's responsibility to read course descriptions and avoid courses duplicating material already covered.

Repeating Courses

A course passed at any institution with a grade of "A," "B," or "C" cannot be repeated at The University of Alabama, except as an audit.

A course passed at The University of Alabama with a grade of "D" may be repeated. A record of both the original and repeat enrollment appears on the student's transcript. With respect to hours and grade points applicable to degree requirements and honors-designation requirements in the College, each enrollment is counted in the cumulative hours attempted and cumulative grade points earned, but only the most recent enrollment counts in the cumulative hours applicable to the degree.

Application for Graduation

Each candidate for a degree must submit an "application for degree" form. The forms are available in the A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall, and may be submitted one term prior to the term of graduation. Students who expect to complete degree requirements in May may submit the application form during the preceding fall semester. Those who expect to finish degree requirements in August or December should submit the application during the previous spring semester. In all cases, the deadline for submission of the form is the last day to register for the final semester in residence. Students who submit the application after registration for the final semester can expect the degree one term later. Degrees are awarded in May, August, and December.

Top Next Previous Contents Search UA