You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog
Next Previous Contents Search UA

[Support Programs and Services for Students]


The purpose of the Division of Student Affairs is to meet the contemporary needs of University of Alabama students. While honoring the University's mission and heritage, the division works to bring the established institution and the changing student body into a productive relationship. The significant part of this relationship is, of course, the classroom. The business of universities is fostering intellectual growth, and students enroll to obtain academic credentials. The first priority of the Division of Student Affairs is to complement and supplement the academic enterprise, maintaining both a climate on campus and a range of programs that foster students' academic growth.

Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students offers services and programs designed to enhance and support the college experience. This objective is accomplished through leadership programs, greek affairs, cultural enrichment, membership in student organizations, and student self-governance. The office also seeks to serve as a starting point for students and parents who have questions or concerns and for those students seeking to become involved. The dean's staff is trained to facilitate problem solving and referral when needed. The major program components are as follows:

Coordinating Council for Student Organizations (CCSO). CCSO is the student coordinating body that supports nearly 300 registered student organizations. The council encourages student participation through publicity campaigns and provides meeting and fund management training. Get on Board Day is an organizational fair in which students are invited to meet members and learn about the organizations for which they may have interest for membership.

Graduate Student Services. Graduate Student Services provides resources, services, and programs aimed at the specific needs of graduate students, including orientation for new graduate students and a graduate research conference. The office also advises the Graduate Student Association, Alpha Epsilon Lambda, and the Research and Travel Committee. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) is a forum for graduate students to express concerns of the graduate community, to enhance the quality of the graduate educational experience, and to stand as an advocate for change and improvement of graduate students. An honor society, Alpha Epsilon Lambda, recognizes academic excellence and leadership of graduate and professional students. The Research and Travel Committee offers an option for graduate students seeking funding for research and/or travel.

Graduate Student Services is located in 231 Ferguson Center, in the Dean of Students Office. The office may be contacted by phone at (205) 348-6796 or fax (205) 348-7610. The GSA is located on the third floor of Ferguson Center and can be reached at (205) 348-8562.

Greek Affairs. The greek affairs area supports and advises the governing bodies of the greek system (Interfraternity Council, Pan Hellenic Council, and National PanHellenic Council) and its 46 member organizations. The staff assists with programs such as leadership development, scholarship, and associate member education. The office provides a resource center for chapter officers and advisers, maintains contact with international office and alumni groups, and administers campus policies pertaining to greek organizations.

On-Call Dean. The on-call dean program is designed to assist students in crises and to provide a link for parents who may be great distances from the campus. The on-call dean will assist students who have life, health, or family emergencies and other life problems when assistance is needed.

Parents Association. The Office of the Dean of Students serves as the adviser to the Parents Association. The Parents Association is a dedicated group of parents who seek to improve the quality of the college experience by assisting the dean's staff with specialized programming for parents. All parents are welcome to join for a modest annual membership fee. The toll free Parents Association Hotline number is 1-800-392-2777.

Student Government Association. The Student Government Association (SGA) offers students opportunities for self-governance and leadership development. SGA consists of three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. Elections are held each spring semester for senate and executive posts. Activities and services of the SGA include Homecoming, the emergency loan program, the student legal clinic, diversity awareness, and assistance with new student orientation. Financial support is available for registered organizations on campus (FAC).

Student Leadership Development. The Office of the Dean of Students offers a comprehensive program of leadership development including seminars, courses for credit, retreats, and individualized training and consultation. Organizational structures to enhance leadership education and development are available for those students seeking to hone their skills.

University Programs (UP). UP provides cultural enrichment for the University and the Tuscaloosa community through its programming divisions and support areas. These areas encompass nationally known speakers, concerts, fine arts, and films.

The Office of the Dean of Students is located in 231 Ferguson Center, (205) 348-6114.

Career Center

Visiting the Career Center (330 Ferguson Center) introduces students and alumni to a comprehensive range of career development services. Through the Career Center, students and alumni can

The Career Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Appointments can be made by calling (205) 348-5848.

Community Service and Volunteerism

The Office of Community Service and Volunteerism (OCSV) fosters active participation in service and volunteerism as an integral part of the education of University of Alabama students. Through group and individual service to the community, students gain valuable experience, clarify values, and develop leadership, social, and problem-solving skills. Community service programming through the OCSV offers students the opportunity to use their talents in collaboration with non-profit agencies, local and state governments, and civic and business leaders to create solutions to community issues.

The OCSV guides the activities of three university student-managed organizations: the Community Service Center, the Campus Chapter of Habitat for Humanity, and the Elliott Society.

The Community Service Center (CSC) serves as a clearinghouse for those interested in volunteerism, placing individuals and groups in service positions throughout the community, and provides students from all backgrounds the opportunity to complement academic success with service to others. The CSC facilitates activities that promote civic responsibility and learning while fostering a mutually beneficial relationship between the University and local community.

Campus Chapter of Habitat for Humanity, also student-led, performs three main functions: builds or rehabilitates houses in partnership with Habitat affiliates and home owners; educates the campus and local community about affordable housing issues; and raises funds for the work of Habitat.

The Elliott Society, named for the late Senator Carl Elliott, is an honorary that recognizes University students, faculty, and alumni who have made significant leadership contributions to the campus, community, state, and/or nation in the area of social and cultural progress.

The OCSV also offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit for community service activities through a service-learning course: HES 350. Service learning is the integration of service and academics, which allows students to connect classroom theory and practical application. Throughout the semester, HES 350 students examine contemporary social and leadership issues through research and direct service with local agencies and the Alternative Spring Break program. Participants discover that they serve their communities better when their service is linked to academic study: preparation, analysis, integration, and assessment.

Ferguson Center Services/Facilities

Union Services in Ferguson Center provides a wide array of service and social opportunities for University of Alabama students. Come to Ferguson to see your friends, withdraw cash from an ATM, have a quick bite to eat or a full meal, mail a package, have a document notarized, check your e-mail or complete class assignments in the computer lab, or just relax in a rocking chair on the front porch overlooking the plaza. Check out the calendar for special events, play a game of pool in the gameroom, rent a video in the Supply Store, get a haircut, or reserve a room for your next meeting. Ferguson Center Services also oversees facilities for concerts, programs, and recreation including the Ferguson Plaza, the Riverside Amphitheater, and the Palmer Lake Pavilion. Call (205) 348-7487 for information and reservations.

Residential Life

The residential campus is a vital part of the University. Three kinds of campus housing are available: residence halls, undergraduate campus apartments, and graduate campus apartments.

There are real advantages to living on campus. Campus residents often cite the convenience of campus residence facilities to: classrooms, libraries, and student activities; the carefully selected and trained residential life staff; the programs and functions geared to students' academic and social needs; the chance to meet all kinds of students; and ready information about University events. These benefits reflect the University's commitment to maintaining a residential program that helps students develop to their fullest academic and personal potential.

Residence halls. The different campus residence halls can house varied numbers of students, from 100 to 950; about 4,200 students can live in the halls. Amenities in the halls are diverse, ranging from double rooms and suites to singles. The halls are regularly maintained and updated with concern for both their attractiveness and the academic environment they provide. Detailed information about the residence hall environment is sent automatically to students admitted to the University and is also available from The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205)348-6676; Web site

Residence hall applications. Applying to live in a residence hall requires a hall application and a deposit. The application should be returned to The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399. Students who apply before March 1 receive preference in room assignments. A $100 check or money order payable to The University of Alabama must accompany the housing application to cover the $25 application fee and $75 deposit.

The deposit (but not the application fee) is refundable, but only if the housing application is canceled no later than July 1 for the fall semester or no later than December 15 for the spring semester. Written notice of the student's intent to cancel must be mailed to the Office of Residential Life at the address above. Neither oral communication with the Residential Life staff nor written communication with other offices constitutes cancellation of a housing application. Refunds will not be issued if cancellations are not postmarked by the dates above.

Residence Hall Association. The Residence Hall Association (RHA), an organization composed of representatives from each building's hall government, allows all students the opportunity to become involved in planning activities and programs for the halls through the use of an activity fee. Students interested in participating in hall government and RHA should contact the residence hall staff.

Residential academic programs. The engineering major living option is offered in Paty and Somerville halls. The focus on academic needs and programs in this major provides many growth opportunities for our students.

Parker-Adams Hall provides a living option for A&S Mentoring Program participants.

The Blount Undergraduate Initiative provides freshmen in the College of Arts and Sciences a unique living-learning center and increased faculty/student contact.

The business living option in Friedman Hall offers programming and advising focused on the needs of students enrolled in the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration.

An honors living option is available in New Hall for students with an ACT score of 27 or higher.

The Mallet Assembly in Byrd Hall provides an excellent opportunity for students to assume leadership and service in a self-governing facility.

The Women's Honors Residential Program living option is located in Rose Towers.

For further information about these programs and others, please contact The University of Alabama, Office of Residential Life, Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0399; (205) 348-6676.

Undergraduate campus apartment/suite-style residence halls. The University has 1350 available spaces especially for our junior and senior students. These residents share two to three bedrooms and a common kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The traditional RA interaction is maintained, but a semi-independent living option is offered. Students can apply for this option by check marking Rose Towers, Bryce Lawn, or Highlands on the residence hall application.

Graduate campus apartments. The University maintains more than 200 student apartments geared toward graduate/older students, which offer both the benefits of independent living and the convenience of campus housing. Space in University apartments cannot be guaranteed, so students should apply as early as possible.

Russell Student Health Center

The University of Alabama provides comprehensive, high-quality, easily accessible, and economical health care for its students through the Russell Student Health Center (RSHC). Located at the corner of University Boulevard and Hackberry Lane, the RSHC is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). The RSHC can meet most, though not all, medical needs of University of Alabama students.

The center includes a large outpatient facility (averaging 250 visits a day) and services include counseling, women's health, pharmacy, clinical laboratory, X-ray, health education and wellness, medical records, insurance, and administration. RSHC employs a highly competent staff comprised of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists and psychologists, and laboratory and X-ray technologists that are fully licensed and certified as required by the State of Alabama.

For more information, call (205) 348-6262 or write The University of Alabama, Russell Student Health Center, Box 870360, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0360.

Student Government

The Student Government Association (SGA) offers students opportunities for self-governance and leadership development. SGA consists of three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. Elections are held each spring semester for senate and executive posts. Activities and services of the SGA include Homecoming, the emergency loan program, the student legal clinic, new-student orientation, the Capstone Event, the High School Leadership Conference, and student publications. Students can also serve on the nearly 40 SGA committees, which work to improve student life at UA. For more information regarding involvement with the SGA, sign up during Get on Board Day, visit the SGA office in the Ferguson Center, or call (205) 34-UASGA between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.

Student Judicial Affairs

Located in 232 Ferguson Center, the Office of Student Judicial Affairs promotes a safe and supportive University community by serving as a resource for students, faculty, and staff who may be affected by others' misconduct. The office is an advocate for community standards and campus civility through educational programming; mediation and resolution of student disputes and conflicts of non-academic misconduct; and administration of the Code of Student Conduct. For general information and assistance, contact the Office of Student Judicial Affairs, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292 or call (205) 348-8234.

Student Media

Students at The University of Alabama can gain experience in media management, journalism, graphic design, advertising, Internet publishing, and production, as well as become more deeply involved in music, the arts, and history or current events through the Office of Student Media. Within this office, students work for and manage the daily campus newspaper, The Crimson White; the yearbook, Corolla; two semiannual literary magazines, Black Warrior Review and Marr's Field Journal; a scholarly journal, Southern Historian; and the campus radio station, WVUA-FM, New Rock 90.7. The Office of Student Media also coordinates the Alabama Scholastic Press Association, an outreach service of workshops and critiques for high-school publication and broadcast staffs.

For general information or information on joining a UA student media staff, contact the Office of Student Media, 100 Student Media Building, Box 870170, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0170; (205) 348-7257.

Student Organizations

Involvement in student organizations can enhance students' educational experiences at The University of Alabama. Academic programs are complemented by and personalized through activities that polish the communication, leadership, and management skills of students who participate. The Office of the Dean of Students, located in 231 Ferguson Center, is interested in helping student groups reach their goals. Through workshops, seminars, resource materials, and consultation, the Office of the Dean of Students strives to ensure that each student's experiences in out-of-classroom activities are positive and rewarding.

Contact the Office of the Dean of Students (205) 348-6114 for information about officers and advisers, or about specific organizations.

Academic organizations. These organizations work to foster among students the appreciation of a particular academic field or discipline.

Coordinating bodies. The primary purpose of these organizations involves coordinating activities and supporting functions of (a) campuswide committees and organizations and (b) groups that serve as governing bodies within the colleges.

Departmental honor societies. These organizations are within particular departments or fields of study whose requirements include a grade point average of 3.0 or higher, or whose local, state, or national constitution recognizes the organization as an honor society.

Military organizations. These organizations provide academic support, professional development, and/or socialization of students with a common interest in military science.

Political organizations. The purpose of these organizations involves addressing political and governmental concerns and promoting interest in these areas at the campus, local, state, or national level.

Professional organizations. The purpose of these organizations involves developing professional standards among their members and encouraging them to achieve in careers related to the field of their interest.

Recreational/athletic organizations. These organizations encourage the development of skills, knowledge, or support of a particular sport or leisure activity.

Religious organizations. These organizations aim to enhance the spiritual development of students.

Service organizations. These organizations perform philanthropic, altruistic service to the community and/or campus.

Social fraternal organizations. Available are 46 fraternities and sororities that are by law exempt from Title IX regulations pertaining to sex discrimination and are recognized by the Interfraternity Council, National Panhellenic Council, or Panhellenic Association.

Special interest organizations. These organizations encourage interest in areas not necessarily related to any of the above kinds of organizations.

University-wide honor societies and programs. These organizations such as Phi Beta Kappa Phi Kappa Phi require members to have achieved high standards in academics, leadership, character, and/or cocurricular activities. For most, members must have 3.0 or higher grade point averages.

Additional information about the honor societies is available from The University of Alabama, Office of the Dean of Students, Coordinating Council for Honor Societies, Box 870292, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0292.

University Recreation

The University Recreation department within Student Affairs conducts sports and fitness programs for the University community. For more information on the following facilities and programs, call (205) 348-3994 or visit our Web site at

Student Recreation Center. The Student Recreation Center (SRC) is the center of many University Recreation activities and houses the University Recreation administration offices. The 112,000-square-foot facility is located on the eastern campus alongside the playing fields. It is open to students more than 100 hours a week. Facilities available include multipurpose hardwood courts, large exercise rooms, racquetball and squash courts, a suspended one-eighth-mile jogging track, a weight room, a 25-yard pool, modern shower facilities, dressing rooms with lockers, saunas, and steam rooms. For more information, call (205) 348-5140.

Fitness Services. Programming and services aimed at improving the health and wellness of UA students include

BamAerobics. Over fifty-five weekly exercise classes are available at the SRC at no cost to students. These classes include

Classes to fit your schedule and style are available. You may pick up a semester schedule at the SRC. For more information, call (205) 348-5140.

Intramurals. University Recreation offers over 40 intramural activities for men and women, including 11 coed activities. These individual, dual, and team sports range from tennis (singles and doubles) to horseshoes to wrestling. Traditional competitive sports (flag football, basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball) are also offered. The intramurals program also includes special events such as track and swim meets and sports trivia contests. Most indoor intramural activities are held at the Student Recreation Center. Adjacent to the Student Recreation Center are eight lighted playing fields that provide quality turf for intramural flag football, softball, and soccer.

Outdoor recreation. An outdoor rental center is available for rental of camping and other outdoor recreation equipment. Information is also available for trips conducted by the outdoor recreation department throughout the year. The outdoor rental center is located on the southern side of the Student Recreation Center. For more information, call (205) 348-7045.

Sports clubs. University Recreation currently offers 11 sports clubs with emphasis on competition, skill development, and social interaction: Bama Ultimate Frisbee, lacrosse, rugby, water-skiing, crew, soccer, volleyball, team handball, cricket, equestrian, and cycling. For more information, call 348-5141.

University Golf Center. This facility features an eighteen-hole, par 71 course, a fully equipped pro shop, and a PGA professional staff. The golf course, chipping and putting areas, and driving range are open seven days a week. A seasonal grill is open to the public. Lessons are available for nominal fees. For more information, call (205) 348-7041.

Aquatic Center. The University's Aquatic Center is a great place to swim and workout. Facilities available include

For more information, call (205) 348-6155.

Riverside Pool. Located next to Rose Towers on McCorvey Drive, Riverside Pool offers students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the University community access to a large swimming and diving area that allow for fun and relaxation in an outdoor setting. For more information, call (205) 348-7665.

Tennis Courts. Opened in 2002 and located adjacent to the SRC and play fields, 12 lighted courts are available for play seven days a week from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. For more information, call (205) 348-5161.

Women's Resource Center

The Women's Resource Center (WRC) provides outreach, services, and advocacy to empower women and encourage their full, active, and equal participation in the University community. The Women's Resource Center supports the fulfillment of the University of Alabama's overarching vision to create a sense of community while reaching out to serve the needs of others. In an effort to fulfill its missions and goals, WRC encourages participation of all persons in the community, including men.

WRC provides many programs and services for students addressing such areas as leadership development, personal growth, body image and eating disorders, gender communication, healthy relationships, etc. The center also houses the Frances S. Summersell Library, providing books, videos, and other resource materials on a variety of women's issues.

For additional information about services and programs, please contact The University of Alabama, Women's Resource Center, Third Floor Russell Student Health Center, Box 870360, Tuscaloosa, AL 35847-0360; (205) 348-5040; fax (205) 348-5282.

Top Next Previous Contents Search UA