You are viewing a past version of the Undergraduate Catalog. For the most recent version, please visit

2002-2004 Undergraduate Catalog
Next Previous Contents Search UA

[Student Records and General Academic Policies]


A student registered in an undergraduate division of The University of Alabama who has earned fewer than 45 semester hours may transfer to another undergraduate division. A student who has earned 45 or more semester hours may transfer to another undergraduate division according to the rules established by the division to which he or she is applying. Credit will be given for courses in which a passing grade has been earned, provided that the courses transferred are appropriate to the new curriculum. Credits accepted for graduation are determined by the academic division into which the transfer is made.

A student who is transferring between academic divisions of the University must present to the Office of Academic Records and University Registrar a permit to transfer. This form indicates that the school or college the student plans to transfer into has been notified of the student's intent. Changes in the student's major(s) and minor(s) must be registered with the divisional registrar in the new academic division immediately following the transfer. Transfers between academic divisions will not be permitted once the registration process has been completed for a given term. At the discretion of the school or college concerned, a student may, upon entering another division of the University, petition to discard all credit previously earned. This recourse is limited to students who have attempted no more than 20 semester credit hours of work.