The University of Alabama seeks to maintain a welcoming and safe educational environment for students, employees, and visitors, and adopts this policy for possession of dangerous weapons and firearms on campus and at events.
- "Campus" means all property owned, leased or controlled by the University and any affiliated foundation or health care entity, including buildings and outdoor premises, such as parking lots and other outdoor property.
- "Dangerous weapon" is defined to include:
- Any device that shoots or delivers a bullet, BB, pellet, arrow, dart, flare, electrical charge, or other projectile, whether loaded or unloaded, including those devices powered by CO2.
- Any explosive device, including fireworks.
- Any instruments/devices that are designed or may be used as a weapon to injure or threaten another individual, including non-culinary knives with a blade greater than four (4) inches.
- A firearm, as defined herein, is not included in this definition of dangerous weapon.
- "Firearm" means a pistol, handgun, rifle, or shotgun and any ammunition.
POLICY STATEMENT, APPLICATION, & ENFORCEMENT:
Except as otherwise stated in this policy or as otherwise allowed by law, the University prohibits the possession, transportation, and use of firearms and other dangerous weapons on campus. This policy applies to all persons on campus, including faculty, staff, students, contractors, patients, and visitors. University students may not possess firearms at any time on campus (except as expressly authorized by the University of Alabama Police Department ("UAPD")). UAPD provides temporary storage for firearms lawfully possessed by students at its headquarters.
Dangerous weapons are not allowed on campus at any time. Any dangerous weapons may be confiscated.
Faculty and staff may not possess firearms on campus or while otherwise engaged in duties associated with their employment, except for a firearm properly maintained in a personal vehicle in a manner consistent with Alabama law.
Consistent with Alabama law, all persons (including concealed carry permittees) are strictly prohibited from possessing firearms (1) at facilities that provide inpatient or custodial care of patients with psychiatric, mental or emotional disorders; and (2) at locations where guards and other security features are employed, such as athletic events.
This policy will be published in staff, faculty, and student handbooks, and supersedes any contrary provisions.
Persons on campus and in violation of University policy are trespassers and may be dealt with accordingly, including, but not limited to, being removed from campus and receiving a written directive to remain off campus. Contractors and vendors are expected to comply with policy and contract terms. Violations of Alabama law may be dealt with by appropriate law enforcement. Student violations may be addressed in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct as well as other applicable policies and may include sanctions, up to and including expulsion. Employee violations may be resolved in accordance with employer policies, up to and including termination.
This policy does not prohibit use or possession of dangerous weapons or firearms by (1) certified law enforcement officers acting within the scope of their employment; (2) private security, who with express prior permission of UAPD, possess firearms or dangerous weapons while in the employ of the University or for a permitted event; and (3) members, coaches, and authorized staff of a recognized team or course who are acting within the scope of activities that UAPD has pre-approved (e.g. ROTC members). This Policy also does not apply to UAPD officers who are attending classes as students. If, however, UAPD officers are not in uniform during class, they must keep their weapons concealed. Any other use or possession of dangerous weapons or firearms on campus must be authorized by UAPD.
REVISED: 16 August 2013
Print this Policy
Back to Policies Home