BRIEF HISTORY OF UA
Becoming the State's Premier University
Football came to the University in 1892. In 1893,
the first women students were admitted. The Corolla yearbook
was first published that same year; the Crimson White student
newspaper was first published in 1894.
When Dr. George Denny became president in 1912, total
enrollment was about 650 and there were nine major campus buildings.
His presidency began an era of growth that set the University on
the path toward becoming the preeminent university in the state.
Upon Denny's retirement in 1936, there were more than 5,000 students
and some 23 major buildings, which form the central core of the
The years following World War II saw another surge
in enrollment and the expansion of the University's role in research
and public service. Doctoral programs were authorized in 1948, and
the University of Alabama Press was formed in 1945.
back to Brief History