BRIEF HISTORY OF UA
The Establishment of UA's First Colleges and Schools
The University reopened in 1871 and began training
its, until 1893, exclusively male students for careers in the sciences,
arts, law, and humanities. The School of Law opened in 1872, the
College of Engineering (engineering courses had been offered since
the 1830s) and the College of Education in 1909, the College of
Arts and Sciences in 1910, and the College of Commerce in 1919.
The Graduate School was established in 1924 and the School of Home
Economics (now the College of Human Environmental Sciences) in 1931.
The Medical College branch of the University was established in
Mobile in 1859 (it moved to Tuscaloosa in 1920 and then to Birmingham
back to Brief History