Back to the “School Routine”
After a summer off, its always difficult for kids and their parents to get back into the school routine. Dr. Carol Donovan and Dr. Diane Sekeres, faculty members in the College of Education at The University of Alabama, offer these tips for getting organized for back to school:
- Create a list of “to do” items to ready your child for school.
- Plan when you will shop for supplies, when you will purchase new shoes or clothes.
- Check off each item as you complete it.
- Set up a place for your child to accumulate school supplies—preferably the same location that your child will do homework.
- If you have not been reading regularly with your child, make sure you have some regular times set aside the rest of the summer so as to retain your child’s skills. Your child may read independently or side by side (each with your own book) or together, aloud. This applies to any age!
- If this is a new school, go visit and meet the administration and secretary.
- Practice getting up and preparing for school on time.
- Establish rules for waiting at the bus stop or coming home after school.