The judicial authority rests with the Division of Student Affairs. The University president has designated the vice president for student affairs to be responsible for the administration and operation of this Code of Student Conduct. The vice president shall appoint a judicial administrator who shall be responsible for the operation of this Code.
Generally, University jurisdiction and discipline shall be limited to conduct which occurs on University premises or which adversely affects the University community and/or the pursuit of its objectives. A student will be subject to the Code of Student Conduct for any action which violates this Code, which occurs on University property, or which affects the University community and/or pursuit of University objectives.
- If a student is cited only with an off-campus violation of federal, state, or local laws, but not with any other violation of the Code, disciplinary action may be taken and sanctions imposed for misconduct which demonstrates disregard for the University community.
- University disciplinary proceedings may be instituted against a student cited with violation of a law which is also a violation for this student code if both violations result from the same factual situation, without regard to the pendency of civil litigation in court or criminal arrest and prosecution. Proceedings under this student code may be carried out prior to, simultaneously with, or following civil or criminal proceedings off-campus.
- When a student is cited by federal, state, or local authorities with a violation of the law, the University will not request or agree to special consideration for that individual because of his or her status as a student. If the alleged offense is also the subject of a proceeding before a judicial body under the student code, however, the University may advise off-campus authorities of the existence of the student code and of how such matters will be handled internally within the University community. The University will cooperate fully with law enforcement and other agencies in the enforcement of criminal law on campus and in the conditions imposed by criminal courts for the rehabilitation of student violators. Individual students and faculty members, acting in their personal capacities, remain free to interact with governmental representatives as they deem appropriate.
- The judicial administrator shall receive from judicial bodies recommendations for sanctions to be imposed upon students who have been found to have violated this Student Code. The judicial administrator shall make the final decision and shall notify the student of the sanction which is imposed.
- The judicial administrator shall determine the composition of judicial bodies and review boards and determine which judicial body and review board shall be authorized to hear each complaint.
- The judicial administrator shall develop policies for the administration of the judicial program and procedural rules for the conduct of hearing which are not inconsistent with provisions of the student code.
- Decisions made by a judicial body shall be final, pending the normal review process.
- A judicial body may be designated a mediator of disputes within the student community in cases which do not involve a violation of the Code of Student Conduct. All parties must agree to mediation and be bound by the decision with no right of appeal.